1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

s188 letters

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Pudsley, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Hi Hope you can help I am currrently off sick (signed off by the GP). I checked my work email this morning and saw that a notice had been given out to say s188 letters were being handed out today. Nothing more was said. I checked online and it would seem that these are redundancy letters. I am now really stressed out as this is the first I have heard, I have no idea how many people are being made redundant. It is not an academy if that matters. Really worried about this

2. Hi Hope you can help I am currrently off sick (signed off by the GP). I checked my work email this morning and saw that a notice had been given out to say s188 letters were being handed out today. Nothing more was said. I checked online and it would seem that these are redundancy letters. I am now really stressed out as this is the first I have heard, I have no idea how many people are being made redundant. It is not an academy if that matters. Really worried about this

3. coppull

coppull New commenter

Assuming you in a Union they will be aware of the Section 188,even before the teaching staff at your school.
    To find what is going on you should contact the local secretary of the Union in the Local Authority in which you work.It is unlikely your school rep will be handling 188 notices.If you do not know the name of your local secretary,please contact Regional Office of your Union. Check the National Sites of the Unions for Regional contact numbers.

4. It is a bit naughty of your employer not to make every reasonable effort to make sure you are as well informed about the situation as all other members of staff. They are required to do so. I would contact the school and ask to be sent copies of all earlier letters and any notices, notes of any staff meetings or governors meetings where this has been discussed during your absence.
    This in addition to the excellent advice from coppull.