1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

S1 now incapable

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by segbog, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Listening skills appear to have not been taught in primary or at home...

2. socrates82

socrates82 Occasional commenter

I would agree totally. How much of it is CfE's fault I'm not sure, but from what I've seen the new S1s can often be very hard going.Whacking the class sizes back up to 30 in English and Maths hasn't helped too much either.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm afraid that I agree 100%. This has been commented on by most of the teachers at my school. I have a lovely S1 but they cannot be quiet for more than 5 seconds,usually after a big telling off! 5 seconds and they start again as if I had not just told off. The telling off seems to just be a small interuption in their social chit-chat.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Again,100% agree. My noisy S1s are at least quite nice. However,I have seen some some horrors in some other classes. The type of behaviour and attitude that you normally see in a bottom S3/S4 class.

5. Well, yes. And if you think this year's S1's are bad, remember they only had CfE for the last couple of years. Wait'll you see what's coming up, when you get the cohorts who've had CfE singing and dancing all around the bloomin' whiteboard right through primary.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Something to look forward to![​IMG]

7. It's not just CfE, it's the emphasis on the whiteboards. Children do not engage with print in any sustained way. We are teaching them to respond only to screens. This situation is not helped when they see everyone around them walking around with their heads bowed over their smartphones. I know I sound like a dinosaur, but they do have to learn to read.

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I find that they just ignore the whiteboard!

9. Oh catmum, that must be because you don't have cartoons on it! [​IMG]

10. It's not just reading but the act of sustained concentration on any task. It's taking me forever to get anything done because we have to swap activities every twenty minutes or deal with the ensuing riot. I can see the one or two who can concentrate sighing as they have to stop just as they get into the flow of an activity.

11. It's no wonder. In primary school children rarely have to concentrate on anything for more than about five minutes. Learning is meant to be fun and entertaining all the time. They are supposed to be talking their heads off all the time because the numpties in charge have decreed that this is evidence of active learning. Then the children go home and drug themselves mentally for hours on end on their DS's and computers. They never have the opportunity to concentrate on anything anywhere.

12. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I agree too. I've only been teaching three and a half years but S1 are getting worse every year. During my probationary year I had a group of (mildly scared) little angels who I built up a relationship over the months until they were a confident, enthusiastic bunch. Since then it's been downhill and this year I have a group of needy puppies who cannot stick to a task for any length of time without being constantly reminded of what they're meant to be doing. If I allow quiet chat the noise just builds and builds until it's ridiculous and I end up having to insist on silence. Actually, does anyone have any tips on 'volume control?' I really think we're headed for disaster and I'm thinking of getting out before I'm inevitably blamed for it along with the rest of you.

13. Doing S1 solo talks - they are incapable of keeping quiet during another child's talk, which is usually about 2-3 minutes. It is pathetic. I think we are witnessing a change in the brain. Selfish, noisy children who expect it all to be about them. I wish I had an answer to this but I do not apart from giving it big, bad teacher time, and even that is not working anymore.

We need to get back to bums on seats, being quiet, hands up, quiet when others speak...it is not rocket science...it is the way were all raised.

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I think you are right.

15. Nope. I've had to resort to insisting upon silence during task that I would normally allow some quiet and generally task relevant discussion. I'm hoping to gradually work up to that but at the moment I have to exercise iron control just to keep them from fighting one another.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Oh dear, don't start me . . . i am tottering on the edge of a huge, protracted, vitriolic RANT of absolutely insane proportions (ever feel like that in a class and have to rein it in big time? the joys of self control). . . so many posts on this thread that I relate to and agree with . . . it's incredibly worrying . . . . I try and deal with this phenomenon in various ways, none entirely successful immediately, but with time and consistent repitition (and with total dominance of the classroom space) you can 'get there', but as someone else said 'it grinds you down'.
    The combo of supposed 'social respect' and 'social skills' (skills we have to now teach pupils cos their parents can't be ar.sed) that we are lead to believe can exist within a classroom setting is largely, imo, turning into a case of the emperors new clothes.
    It doesn't exist!!!

17. catmother

catmother Star commenter

How do you manage that? Mine don't seem to understand the meaning of silence.

18. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

there will be no singing round the whiteboard in my music room!!!!!
    Seriously, I broke the rules today and gave my S1 their end of year assessment - last year's Foundation paper. I know we are not supposed to "do" that kind of testing but I can't assess their progress otherwise. I explained to them about this being a PROPER test (yes, I was shouting above the oohs and ahhs of who didn't have pencils, pens or who had forgotten their library book or what they'd had for breakfast...............) and put on the CD. They could not keep their eyes on their own desk and as for exam etiquette - half of them would have been disqualified. I am a good teacher with many years experience but this lot have me beaten. And there are less than 15 in that section - I don't know what I did wrong.

19. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

thank God I'm not alone then!

20. holdingon

holdingon Occasional commenter

wait until they are in your Higher group [​IMG]