1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

******'s new toolbar

Discussion in 'Primary' started by L80PDN, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Hi there, since all the stuff came out about ********** I moved to ****** to get my display resources and games but today when I went on it was asking me to download a toolbar so that I can still get free resources. I am a little concerned as the toolbar is run by Conduit which I am almost certain was the same company as the ********** toolbar. Does anyone have any advice about this? I am pretty certain that ****** is not ********** under a new name but it seems a bit strange that they both picked the same toolbar provider, or is conduit just the best toolbar provider out there? I don't know. Any thoughts or opinions would be great.

Thanks
    Lx

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Precisely.

Make money with Conduit Rewardsmore money you'll make!

4. But is this a bad thing? I'm all for ****** making money from advertising and toolbar side of their website if it means they can keep the resources free. But is the toolbar dodgy? I had the ********** toolbar for months before I found out about all the stuff and I'm not sure if there is anything wrong with the toolbar as long as the company is ligit.

5. Msz

I know Firefox had security issues with conduit

6. Hi all
    Thanks for the messages and thanks to Cassie for letting me know about the post.
    As a primary teacher, I can completely understand that there could be some concerns over the new twinklbar given the controvosy over a certain other website's toolbar. I'd like to make it clear that we thought long and hard about implementing the twinklbar and through a great deal of research, it became clear that there is no need for any concerns. It is a real shame that the actions of one person in particular have tainted what is a very useful piece of software.
    Conduit (the software provider) are the largest online toolbar provider and this is the main reason that we decided to use their product. We're convinced that using the toolbar is a win-win in the sense that it allows us to keep the resources free, whilst being the software itself is free and absolutely safe for our lovely community.
    As part of the whole process, we've made a few changes to the site wich means that there will never be any access issues within schools. We're actually in contact with a number of the local learning grids and we have not heard of any concerns. We do not and will not force people to use the twinklbar if they don't want to, but just hope that the community will want to support our work. The reality is that we are just a bunch of nice, normal people, wanting to make a difference!
    Our aim has and always will be to keep the site 100% free and the reality is that it isn't cost free to produce resources. We're trying our best, but equally we do need the support of the community in order to keep us going : )
    I'd be more than happy to have a chat with anyone who has concerns - just pop an email over to us and I'll give you a call.
    Susie

7. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Why? Are you against other people making money?

8. Thank you for your relpy ******. I am sorry if I have caused any offence to you by posting this. It was not my intention, like I said earlier I am a great fan of your site and love the resources you produce. I was just a little weary of installing the toolbar and was looking from some advice from perhaps more technically minded people.
    Please accept my apology, I meant no offence.
    Lx

9. Msz

Certainly not but personally I'd prefer to pay for any resources I want as use a conduit toolbar but I know others see FREE and Good as synonymous

10. Hello
    No problems at all and really, no offence taken. These are understandable concerns and I appreciate being able to take the time to respond. I'd be asking the same questions too : )
    There are lots of lovely resources available free online and I am a firm believer in looking arund. No one site has all the resources and each site offers its own unique set of style and interpretation of a resource idea. It is fantastic that people have a choice and I know the ****** team feel really privileged to be able to produce the resources that we do.
    Hope you have a lovely rest of the weekend!
    Susie

11. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

To the Conduit Team:
    So will you be disassociating yourself from the person who has "tainted" your good name?
    Will you continue to allow him use of your toolbar?

12. Hello?Yes, we can confirm that this person is no longer linked with the toolbar. The toolbar is still available, however, we have ensured that that individual is no longer associated with it. It is our priority to ensure that toolbars/apps created using Conduit Platform are safe and that users are enjoying their experience with the toolbars and apps they choose to download.