1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

S*ds Law

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dozymare1957, Jul 25, 2012.

1. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

That's just ridiculous. I know they're using the last in first out basis but surely they should keep the best teachers? So many EFL teachers have no idea about grammar, I don't know how they get away with it.

2. I am surprised to hear that 'many EFL teachers have no idea about grammar'. Are they qualified teachers or instructors perhaps, with TEFL qualifications. Either way, it seems very strange. I would report them to the School Governors. I wonder if they are native English speakers or people who themselves have English as a second language. Even then it seems weird.Can't get my head around this.

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

No such luxury, EFL schools are run as a business, so the cheaper teachers, ie recently gained CELTA teachers are the ones who get the jobs. People like me with years of experience and QTS tend to be passed over!

4. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Eh? That has not been my experience - the very opposite, in fact. Do you have any evidence for that?

5. That's so unfair, Lapinrose. You are obviously very good at your job and I know you love it. Hope something else comes up.

6. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Sadly Aspen, I've met lots of EFL teachers who have passed CELTA with little knowledge of grammar. Most of them don't last long but they do take the jobs of experienced teachers like Lapin.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

It's the same in any type of Education, money rules and cheap is best!! [​IMG]

8. Utter nonsense - best value is best, which doesn't necessarily mean cheapest.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Not in my experience, nor in the case of many others!

10. Sorry, lapinrose - when I mentioned school governors I didn't realise you taught in the private sector. Sadly, I think your 'money rules and cheapest is best' will become many a school's unwritten motto. Perhaps someone will translate it into Latin for us. I bet it will sound very noble and worthy.

11. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear that lapin as i know what a great teacher you are x