1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

S a b i s

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dash201, Dec 28, 2011.

1. dash201

dash201 New commenter

Hi all. I have been offered a telephone interview for the 3rd January.

I have a few questions but here is my background.

I am a fully qualified teacher with 8 years experience in England. I plan to go with my non-teaching wife. Here are my questions.

1. What is the salary at a *** school roughly? I have read ?1500 a month (£1255). Is this correct? If so, I will hang up on them if they confirm this on the interview. And laugh. I currently take home £1900 a month.

2. Is this actually a worthwhile school? Or is it basically a TEFL school in disguise?

I think this will do for now. I apologise if anyone feels that I am being arrogant or anything like that but this is my future and I would rather do research first.

Many thanks, Chris.

2. dash201

dash201 New commenter

Hi admin/mods. This can be deleted now as it is a double post. Many thanks.

3. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

Depends where. For Egypt, given the cost of living, GPB1300.00 + benefits may be ok! *** are ok within their scope. Not a TEFL in disguise. Do more research. Good luck! PS. I am looking for staff.

4. siren622

siren622 New commenter

Honestly....don't touch them with a bargepole!! I interviewed with them many years ago and the PE teacher (yes the PE teacher) interviewed me, gave me the job over the phone and then proceeded to tell me my salary after 12 years of teaching would be just over 1000 pounds. I then found out lots about the system. It is very regimented. All of your lessons are planned for you. It is all test based and teaching to a test. The children are stressed out over it, the teachers even more so. If you fall behind the teaching you will be reprimanded. There is absolutely no differentiation and the system doesn't believe in differentiation (and I did go personally in and the principal of the school told me this to my face) If the children don't make progress it is the teacher's fault. Like I said...don't do it!!!

5. dash201

dash201 New commenter

I have decided to withdraw my application from there. They sound nucking futs to be fair. I would need to be put in an asylum after a day by the sounds of it. And if I wanted to sell my soul to an evil establishment , I would head to manchester!

Thanks all. Decision made!

6. You made the right decision, dash201.

7. Read carefully; my point was if you can't get a job at the 'bog standard' state comp. Are you implying that there are tons of jobs to be had and therefore no need to work in Chewies. I'm also guessing that UK based Chewy schools might have to abide by certain UK standards ( though some might consider them a barrel of laughs).
    So, Yasf, giro or job at the new strange school in town?

8. hope4thefuture

hope4thefuture New commenter

Is it all about jobs for teachers then?

9. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Dunno about jobs, but I can speak for the students I've worked with after they left a Chewie school. They might have been willing to work and eager to please, but they didn't have a clue how to tackle anything the least bit open-ended or needing higher-order thinking. All of them needed significant support. Some were successful and loved the way school opened up their lives. Others really struggled and never made the leap. They were all great at following step by step instructions, but nothing more.

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>The 25 or so
    *** schools around the world follow a curriculum called the *** system,
    and it is appalling. Students are forced to rote memorize reams of information
    in all subjects, information that will be slightly adjusted and increased from
    year to year, so that effectively they are relearning the same material in the
    same way again and again and again from year to year. No matter what grade they
    are in, students are never held accountable for having actually learned
    anything before, so they are constantly reinventing their boring wheel. The
    curriculum materials are so cheaply and badly produced, it is almost
    unbelievable. In English, for example, the main textbooks are *** written and
    produced military histories from grade four through grade twelve. No real
    literature is used because literature is, by its very nature, subversive and
    therefore threatening to the fundamentalist Islamic values that the ***
    system caters to. The math program is better, because the *** system of
    testing and retesting the same concepts over and over again lends itself more
    effectively to a largely linear area of study. Science education is also
    limited, churning out technicians rather than thinkers.

</font>Thinking is
    discouraged generally, with all students and teachers across the system forced
    to follow exactly the same lifeless lesson plans from day to day, without
    regard to teacher or student interests or abilities. *** students will never,
    for example, create their own original videos as part of a graded class
    project. When some better informed parents complain about this kind of monotony
    and insensitivity to different learning styles, the *** system responds with
    an extracurricular program they call Student Life. All of the fun and creative
    work is supposed to happen in there, outside of the graded class work and along
    with sports. But in fact most kids end up spending most of student life playing
    soccer, which they would have done anyway. It is not a venue to stretch and
    grow, because it is not graded, and grades are all that students take seriously
    here.<font face="Times New Roman"> </font>

also question the academic integrity of the school, even judging it
    within the parameters the *** system sets for itself. Students take tests
    constantly, mostly multiple choice tests, and if they fail they are supposed to
    be retaught the missed material and then they are retested. They post
    improvement charts saying, "Look how much the students improved after
    retesting!" But in fact many times the students were allowed to retest
    three or even five times between the first score and the last, and it is a rare
    person who wouldn't pick up a few more points after taking essentially the same
    test five times running. British teachers seem to find the *** system less
    offensive than American teachers do. </font>

</font><font size="3">Non-Arab kids don't last here. The Arab kids bully them,
    and the rigid, slow-paced, illogical curriculum baffles them. Sometimes they
    stumble into 6th of October by mistake, possibly sucked in by the well-funded
    marketing campaign, and then their parents pull them out as soon as they can.
    Egyptian kids, especially those whose families have had little or no exposure
    to the West, seem content here. </font>
    <font size="3">Of course the TES moderators will now delete this, but I thought that I would post it anyway!</font>

</font>

11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Perhaps I should point out that I have never had the misfortune to teach in one of the "schools" where the fat is chewed, but I have had several colleagues who have. They would all agree with the long quotation I included above (taken from an ISR review).
    Some of my pupils and ex-pupils also suffered in these fat-chewing institutions and their recollections of their former alma maters are not positive. Amazingly, I have known a few parents who thought that the S A B I S schools were really good. However, this really just confirms the notion that sometimes parents are the last people who should have children.