1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RYVITA----CARB?????

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by poppymolly, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Is ryvita a carb???

2. Is ryvita a carb???

3. janemk

janemk New commenter

4. oh damn! Im trying to cut out carbs and thought they would be better than bread!!

Any suggestions for alternatives???

5. Nope!
    Rice cakes, maize wafers, popcorn, snackajacks -they're all carbs.
    Have a look on the Atkins Diet website for possible alternatives.

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Cutting out carbs isn't healthy.

Low carb people would probably suggest substituting a sausage - see the problem?

7. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Loads of things have carbs in them, even salad and fruit!

It's the starchy carbs you want to avoid, like white bread, rice and pasta. Potatoes too really.

I rarely eat starchy carbs, and I have lost quite a lot of weight, and feel better for it.

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Complex starches are healthy - brown rice and wholemeal etc

9. I'm diabetic so have to eat in a slightly different way than most people woud aim to if they were losing weight. I have to eat complex carbs to maintain my sugar levels. If I don't, I don't feel well. At the simplest I get very emotional which is something that's happened to me for the last week as I thought it was just a reaction to swing. I looked at my diet after a couple of dives and realised that my effort to lose weight had left me lacking in carbs. I'm increasing them slightly and am feeling better already.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's clear that although you're not fat you ARE obsessed by stupid dieting fads. Cutting out carbohydrates is just another one of them. There are ways of *cutting back* on carbohydrates which are healthy and any amount of information on how to do so is available.

Anyone who gives you advice on how to cut out carbs will be doing you a huge disservice.

Judging from your other posts on this forum it is psychological support that you need rather than diet support.

Even if you were fat none of the approaches you've mentioned would be a healthy way of dealing with it.

11. Im simply cutting out carbs because i eat too many! Far too much bread especially! I always feel bloated and even though i started a few days ago, my belly is much flatter already.

Bread doesnt provide you with much goodness anyway, empty calories and goes straight to your thighs!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You obviously know very little about nutrition.

Bread DOES provide "goodness" - including CARBS (which are necessary for good health). Changing the type of bread you eat might be a good idea.

Cutting OUT carbs is just silly and nutritionally unsound.

Low GI diets are common but none would recommend NO carbs.

13. I dont think its going to kill me cutting down on carbs!

14. and salt,

You worry about the wrong things is the other stuff you should not be eating, unless you have been putting a mars bar on your ryvita, keep your fat content to under 6g per meal and get moving faster.

Make a red list and try not to eat those.

Take care and good luck.

Printer.

15. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My friend's boyfriend went to a nutritionist and they put him on a diet with no starchy carbs at all, and no dairy either. He lost 3 stone and hasn't put it back on.

I reduced my starchy carbs and i lost weight.

I agree with Poppy that bread doesn't have that much goodness in it. I'm sure a nice, wholemeal, seeded one made fresh is good for you. Sliced bread must have so many chemicals in it to stay edible for so long.
    My French friend said that baguettes are actually ok, not too fattening.

16. I'm going to have to echo seren_dipity.

You NEED carbohydrates for energy, to keep you alive. Cutting them out is massively harmful as you basically break down your own body to provide energy.

Carbohydrates can either be starch or sugars. The bloating comes from eating too many processed, 'white' foods like white bread and white pasta, which is digested more quickly than the wholemeal, low GI foods.

Try eating a healthy, balanced diet and just reduce portion sizes a little, rather than any of the fads.

17. How about making some homemade wholewheat bread to avoid preservatives and salt. Or buy organic wholewheat flatbreads - it will do you a lot of good and will not hamper your diet unless you eat too much.

Also, go for brown pasta and rice. It's fine to eat them especially if the portion sizes are kept sensible.

Remember - balance is the key, and go for the healthy option every time.

18. Oh and also, its WHOLEWHEAT bread you want, not just 'brown'.

19. Bread bloats me but I think it's the yeast since beer does the same. I don't have the problem with pasta. Try cutting out bread but replacing it with Ryvita.

Cutting out carbs altogether is a crank diet. You have to get your energy from somewhere and it is not good for your internal chemistry to be breaking down protein for that purpose. It puts a strain on your kidneys. What were you thinking of replacing the carbs with? Protein? You'd have to eat so much of it you'll end up with gout. Fat? Certainly not if you're trying to lose weight, leaving aside the state of your arteries. Salad? Not very filling.

Atkins, which this reminds me of, is a good idea for people who are so hugely fat that their health is at more risk from doing nothing than doing Atkins. That is the group for whom Atkins devised the diet. It is also handy for a month if you want to lose half a stone for a special occasion, though simply cutting out snacks, cakes, sweets, biscuits, crisps and booze will have much the same effect. It is NOT a healthy general diet for people who are not actually overweight.

20. Just for your information:
    the Calcium in white bread is more easily available to the body than that in wholewheat, and white bread is fortified with B vitamins. It is a good source of protein.

Calories per 100g of:
    Bagel 254
    Baguette 240
    Brown (e.g. Hovis) 218
    Granary bread 235
    White pitta 262
    White sliced 226
    Wholemeal 220.