1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ryanair. Need anyone say more?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Sep 14, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Disturbing story that one.

I've flown Ryanair once. Never again.

And they aren't cheaper. Their hidden costs push the price right up.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I don't like their attitudes towards their customers and their business model so we don't fly with them.

Aquamarina1234, nomad and Jamvic like this.
  4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

O'Leary always comes across as someone who is tired of his own company but who won't sell as he enjoys winding up people.

nomad and grumpydogwoman like this.
  5. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Flew with them once, never again. I found the whole attitude of the cabin crew appalling.

nomad and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Similar - then they left us stranded for days on end with a "flight's cancelled, next one's in two days but is full, one two days after that"... I left the airport muttering that the apology must have been £25 extra. I won't fly them to the point I'll go past the local airport and travel to Birmingham to avoid having to use them for the route that we take semi-regularly.

sabrinakat and nomad like this.
  7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Yes, but good flying and well handled. I doubt flying to East Midlands was of any significance - Stansted were going to put it into a holding pattern, probably to burn fuel and prepare the airport. If the aircraft captain considered it necessary, he would have declared an emergency and landed where he considered best.

The fault was a structural failing due to a crack in the axle, probably caused by heat stress during during deep maintenance of the axle cylinder by another organisation, and undetectable during normal maintenance checks.

I wouldn’t fly with them either, but there is no blame on Ryanair for this incident.

8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I had always been lucky with Ryanair until a trip to the South of France in August. Being stuck in Marseille airport for ten hours was no fun, without anyone accountable or bothered enough to explain what was going on. A 2.30pm flight left at 10pm. We are in the middle of applying for compensation. I won't fly with them again (unless one of my daughters arranges a holiday using them!)

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

sabrinakat and nomad like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

:D

racroesus likes this.
  11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

A good friend of ours, who is a commercial pilot, says Ryanair is an accident waiting to happen.
    This and their customer srvice and charging recrods, is why I'd never fly with them.

nomad likes this.
  12. mathsman

mathsman Occasional commenter

Still waiting for flight delay compensation from last May.

Michael O'Leary has said that 95% of planes are filled with passengers who said that they wouldn't fly with Ryanair again

Duke of York and BertieBassett2 like this.
  13. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I’ve used them before but wouldn’t again because of the way they treat their staff. Also the underfuelling is quite worrying. And the fact that O’Leary is such an
    A rse .

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Well thank you for your comforting words; we're flying Ryanair from Dublin to La Rochelle in October and hoping to return with them.

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My experience of Ryanair was only eventful for the occasion we got delayed in reaching Marseille airport and looked like missing our flight. We were in fact told that the gate was closed and the plane was about to take off, but one member of our party was determined to be on it and used a strident manner I hadn't previously been aware she was gifted in, to convince the check in staff to delay take off until we were on board. I think we got good customer service that time, as Ryanair would have been well within its rights to refuse us to board; and charge us another fee to fly us home.

The cost of the return flight on that occasion, was twenty quid. I get the notion of why they charge extra for everything other than the flight, but it isn't really a hardship to go without. Who in their right mind wants aircraft food anyway?

As for people who complain, my experience has been that the most voluble complainants are people who complain about anything and everything; and are never happier than when they're miserable. They believe the customer is always right even when the customer can't discern excrement from clay. What do you expect if the prime reason for using low cost airlines is low cost?

In social housing, we get it all the time. Some outspoken bean counter of a resident checks every penny of the service charge cost, moans about things it covers, which he believes are unnecessary, then moans even louder that the place isn't a palace.

16. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I have never flown with Ryanair, for my frequent trips to the ME, I use Turkish Airlines or Ukraine International.
    I had a wonderful flight on Royal Jordanian last year and soon flying MEA to Amman via Beirut.
    We used to enjoy flying with Monarch but they are no more, alas, however Easyjet start flying to Aqaba soon, so will be flying with them.

17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Turkish Airlines-I flew with them many years ago and there were no passenger seats, just crates of chickens belted to the floor. You had to sit on the crates, which instinctively compelled me to make soothing noises to the chickens under my arrus-got wings,but flying this way?
    When I expressed my intrigue to the cabin crew they told me it was the special market stall holders' flight-we were going from Tbilisi to Istanbul, and by installing the chicken crates to sit on they were able to carry the day's turnover of chickens in a much smaller machine, save on fuel, and double the service frequency. Genius, or rather, Makes Good Sense, although still one Gary Larson required to illustrate emergency evacuation leaflet.

This in itself puts them streets ahead of Ryanair, who would never consider customising eg their business shuttle from London to Edinburgh with handy filing cabinets to sit on.. They don't do endless mint tea either.

18. install

install Star commenter

British Airways are not so great for leg room in my opinion - :(:(:(