1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RWorld's Journal To Finding 10 Tutoring Students (£20 per week)

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by RWorld1, Sep 12, 2017.

1. RWorld1

RWorld1 New commenter

I wish it was the other way round. Seems the Uk doesnt seem to respond to a4 adverts based on my experience.

2. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Have you got any testimonials you could put on your page? If not, maybe try and tutor someone for a reduce rate for a couple of lessons to get one. While you're waiting, plan what you're going to say when someone does call you!

RWorld1 likes this.
  3. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

try yell.com (the online yellow pages)
    it's free to set up a business listing and i have had a few people find me that way.

4. tsarina

A lot of parents either ask friends or go online to find tutors.

If i was looking for a science tutor in my area I would type "science tutor in ...." into google or go on the yellow pages and type "science tutor in ...."

I made a website using wordpress and my business pops up on page 4 in a google search after all the ads and big tutoring companies. On yell it is the third listing. I don't actually need any more tutees at the moment, but I am still getting calls enquiring whether i am available. I suggest that maybe that might be one way to go (plus it is very little effort for the return, although the website hosting costs £2.99 per month)

RWorld1 likes this.
  5. armandine2

armandine2 Occasional commenter

Teach geography outdoors - it seems, to me, if you have a Mountain Leader qualification the world is your oyster (or better).

6. RWorld1

RWorld1 New commenter

Thank you so much for the replies.

It's been a frustrating as hell time, and I was lying in bed yesterday thinking about it. I believe I would have thrown in the towel by now if it hadn't been for this thread and you all messaging me with both ideas and support.

I would have tried a few things, seen no results, felt discouraged, and clueless what to do next!

I can't thank you all enough. I feel so incredibly lucky to be part of such a great community.

7. NLyons25

NLyons25 New commenter

Not sure if I have missed someone suggesting them but have you tried online tutoring websites such as Tutor hunt and First tutors? I have found a number of clients via these. I started tutoring Feb 2017 and managed to get 3 clients last academic year and just starting with 1 now that I found through a local agency that hired me (I am still able to charge my full rate ph with them). You inspired me to create some professional flyers though so have done that this morning! Best of luck.

8. RWorld1

RWorld1 New commenter

Been a while since last update.

I've still not given up, and though I haven't had any students yet, I did get a few calls.

I've now listed myself on 6 tutoring sites, got 5,000 flyers printed and delivered around my area, and created a facebook page and been going onto local groups and trying to be active. When it's been appropriate I've listed my facebook page.

A lot of this stuff has been done really recently, so I'm hoping that something hits soon.

Call me optimistic, but I have a good feeling it will soon. The reason I say this is because I've had three phone calls about tuition. They all sounded reasonably enthusiastic and eager, but never called me back to take up tutoring with me.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so what do you think I'm doing wrong - and do you think I should try call them back? I don't want to be a nuisance, but do you think I would be if I happened to just give them a little nudge?

I don't know. It's all pretty frustrating. I feel I've worked my ass off, but nothing has struck yet.

I am trying to look on the positive side. As a friend told me: I wasn't initially even getting calls, now I am. I'm step closer, and soon someone has to bite.

What do you guys think?

9. RWorld1

RWorld1 New commenter

Hey Nlyons,

I've signed up to them pretty recently but haven't had any contact just yet. Out of interest how often is it that you find someone contacting you on there?

Very best of luck on the flyers. I'm glad to inspire and feel free to ask for any help.

10. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Rworld, contacts via tutoring websites can be a bit like buses: nothing for ages then a spate of them. Also most of them are time wasters who probably haven't even read your profile. In particular, beware of the ones who simply enquire about you availability, but are too rude and lazy to tell you anything about themselves.

11. RWorld1

RWorld1 New commenter

Thanks David. I look forward to someone contacting me soon (and them not being a time waster).

12. RWorld1

RWorld1 New commenter

Update time!

Got one more call yesterday. We spoke for a bit and they said they would speak with their son and get back to me. I'm hoping they do. It would be such a relief to just have one person after all of this. I'm proud (and a little surprised) by the amount of effort I've put in, but oh my lord would it feel good to nab a student at last. I'm exhausted!

13. RWorld1

RWorld1 New commenter

Update time.

The BIG NEWS - I got a student!!!

Oh my god I can't begin to tell you how fantastic, relieved, exhausted and proud I feel.

I know it's only £20 per hour but it means the world to me.

I made a few big changes in my thinking and they paid off pretty much immediately. I'm not going to get too ahead of myself as it's only one student and my aim is to get another 9 before I can kick my feet up, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling exhilarated.

First lesson is tomorrow. Just cannot wait to receive the money and for it all to become real.

Thank you so much guys for all the support. I would have given up a long time ago if it wasn't for the words and encouragement in this forum.

sch1510 and doctoryes like this.
  14. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Well done :) Hope it goes well tomorrow.

Two words of caution: don't spend the money until it's in your hand and get the money EVERY lesson otherwise they might take 3 or 4 lessons and on the one they were going to pay you for all, never seen again.

15. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Well done
    Charge for cancellation from the start
    Or rearrange for another day if you can
    Start as you mean to go on

16. RWorld1

RWorld1 New commenter

Thank you all so much for the kinds words.

I'll report back with how things go. I'm excited and strangely nervous too.

17. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Well.......?

18. RWorld1

RWorld1 New commenter

Sorry for the lack of updates guy.

Things have been busy recently. I plan on updating soon with far info.

Quick update - I now have 3 students each paying me £20/hour. Things have just clicked. I understand what I was doing wrong. I wasn't differentiating myself from the other tutors. Now I am and all of a sudden they want me. I thinking of raising my prices to £25/hour.

19. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

That's great news - congratulations!

On that note, how are you differentiating yourself compared to other tutors? How are you selling yourself more now?

20. tsarina

Congratulations!

A note on prices...I am now fully booked and have realised I could have charged more and still be turning away clients, but because i quoted them a lower price it feels impossible to suddenly raise it. If you think you could charge more then do so with the next client. You will appreciate it a year down the line when you have £5 per hour, 10 hours a week, 30 teaching weeks later = £1500 more in cash!

Regarding cancellations, everyone is different but unless the client offers to pay I mostly try and rearrange and casually slip into the conversation the fact that i am trying to pay a mortgage. I have resigned myself to fewer students during the holidays and have got more students than i need as i know that one or two will cancel each week.

Regarding collecting money - the parents pay me by bank transfer, it is easier on both sides and means i can keep track of the money by having a separate bank account for the business.

There are quite a few threads on here with more help on the business side if you need it.