1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RWI - your thoughts...

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by bremengal, May 27, 2020.

1. bremengal

bremengal New commenter

I am writing an assignment for my studies about the RWI Phonics Program and looking to critique it's syllabus design.

Would be interested in any feedback users of the scheme have. Specifically, but not restricted to, it's suitability for EFL learners. What you think works and what doesn't. Have you made any changes that work in your classroom? What improvements would you make or suggest?

Stay safe and well!

2. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I use it to teach abroad.
    I've had to adapt it a lot because I can't rely on a child being able to recognise words that have that sounds in them. They don't know most of the words.

3. shrosemartin

shrosemartin New commenter

Hello, I have used RWI for at least 6 years and I do enjoy using the scheme and find most children benefit from using the scheme and resources. My only criticisms would be resources do not include all the sounds that need to be taught for the phonics screening test in year 1, so as a school we had to create our own sound cards and green cards for these sound. My colleagues and I spend a lot of time creating the red, green and challenge word cards to accompany the books as not all the word cards are included. We also spend a lot of time laminating the cards to preserve them as the resources are expensive.

4. bremengal

bremengal New commenter

I agree with you about the resources being expensive. Good point about the cards. Thank you for the feedback. :)

5. bremengal

bremengal New commenter

How have you adapted it exactly? What context / setting do you teach in? :)

6. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

I've adapted it to make it bespoke for the children that I teach. It is a Reception class in China so they don't have the lexicon to be able to recognise what they are blending beyond simple CVC words. Also, tricky words are nonsensical to them and hold no meaning so it moves at a much slower rate.

I concentrate on single letter sounds, helping them unlearn the alphabet song (an annoying thing in some ways) then move onto CVCs. Then onto captions. I don't use a lot of the resources because it's just not appropriate for an EFL setting when they aren't in an English context outside of my class.