1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RWI phonics question

Discussion in 'Primary' started by L10, Oct 18, 2015.

1. L10

L10 New commenter

Just wondering if anyone can help me regarding RWI phonics groupings? I've assessed all chn and was told in training that boxes A,B and C can be sounded out however D-J must be by sight. If chn sounded out words in D-J what would you do?
    In order to group the chn am I right in thinking that you must go to the last box which was all read correctly and that is their group? For example I have a child who has:
    A - all highlighted
    B - all highlighted
    C - all highlighted
    D - 6 out of 10 highlighted (4 of which are real words)
    E - all highlighted except 2
    F - all highlighted except 3 words and 2 sounds

Where would you place him?

Thanks, it's all new to me!

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

You are right in your thinking.

However, To some extent it would depend on the confidence with which your child read these words. Possibly I would group him with children working within D. That means him rereading a lot of books he has already read, professional judgement comes into it too, you know your children, I Don't and he has got lots right further up. Could you do some focussed teaching of the particular ones he struggled with? Then put him in a group working at F?

3. L10

L10 New commenter

Thank you for your thoughts.