1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RWI Issues

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rach1968, Mar 2, 2012.

1. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

We use RWI at my school and have found that it does work for the basics of sentence construction and reading - by repetition of course. It can be rather boring - particularly the earlier books - but we do 3 days (at most) and then we move onto some more interesting Literacy teaching. We set vertically from Yr 3 to 6 (as a junior school we find many of the children coming up with no understanding of sounds at all) and don't have a problem with self-esteem as as soon as we feel the children are able, we slot them back into their respective yeargroup Literacy lessons.

2. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Which RWI package are you using with years 3 to 6? If it's the phonics scheme starting with the green books (first one is "on the bus) they would be extremely boring for that age group as that package is intended to start in reception.
    Or are you using "Fresh start" for older children? I don't know those books. Are they boring for the older age group?

3. Fresh Start is too hard for Y3. It's designed for Y7 really, and you can use it with Y6.

The stories aren't that suitable for Y3.

We use the normal RWI scheme for Y3 - Y4.

4. mystery10

Do you find they enjoy the reading material then say Story Sets 1 to 4? I guess you would just about get away with those books with years 3 and 4 if you were progressing with them fairly rapidly, but those books would be punishment for years 5 and 6 wouldn't they? The RWI phonics scheme I thought was aimed at teaching years R to 2 (and maybe 3) read properly first time round, not remediating much older children. There are other SP readers which upper primary children would enjoy more aren't there? I can't think of anything more desperate than reading On the Bus and My Dog Ned in year 5 .......... well I suppose going to secondary unable to read is worse.
    I'm not knocking RWI phonics scheme, I am saying that teaching a child to read from scratch in year 4, 5, 6 is surely not its intended audience.

5. We only use RWI in Y3 and Y4.

6. Poppy_Red

Poppy_Red New commenter

My school use RWI Fresh Start in year 4. It seems to be having a tremendous impact on everyone, including the SEN, but the SEN are moving through the modules at a slower pace. This does make it a little boring for some of the kids in this group I think, but they are all enjoying it to point.
    To the OP - are the SEN kids, including the boy you mention, making no progress at all? I was worried about some of the kids in Y4 thinking it was very babyish, but imo they were well aware that they were unable to read, and know that they are getting better now so it has had a positive impact on self esteem.
    Poppy x

7. mystery10

Are you saying you use RWI freshstart in year 4 with everyone, and that they all have to move through it at the pace of those with "SEN"?

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Fresh Start is intended as an intervention for older childre (9+) who are struggling readers.

9. Poppy_Red

Poppy_Red New commenter

Approximately half of the y4 cohort were non/poor/struggling readers. Fresh Start really is aimed at Y5+, but prior to starting this the children were working at phase2/3/4 Letters and Sounds, which is used throughout the school. They badly needed intervention, and to my mind L & S simply hadnt/wasnt working for these children.

So, the lower literacy group were all assessed according to RWI and split into three groups. The SEN group are at the same stage according to the assessments, but I'm aware that there are a few very poor ones who I feel sometimes slow the pace.

Assessments so far have shown progress for every child, so although Fresh Start is an intervention aimed at older children it is working for these children in my school.

Imo it would be much better to have an overhaul of how phonics is taught throughout the school, but that isnt on the agenda at this time so I have just done what I think is best for the children I currently teach.

Poppy x

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I agree As I've often said I'm not a RWI fan but if Fresh Start is working and L&S isn't it would make sense to change