1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rwanda any advice please

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by exuk, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Does anyone have any experience of teaching in Rwanda?

2. Does anyone have any experience of teaching in Rwanda?

3. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Very few of us will ever get there. I would try one of the ex-pat boards, see if they have a central africa section.

Is there an international school there?

4. I have not worked in Rwanda but I have travelled through the country backpacking for 2 weeks so my knowledge is limited. The national parks are some of the best in East Africa and you can also see the Mountain Gorillas. This is very expensive though. Its $600 for a day permit.
    It is a beautiful country with some of the friendliest people I have ever met. You have access to most things you would want at home in Kigali. It can be very dangerous to walk around Kigali at night whereas in the day it is very safe. I was in Kigali in Aug 2010 when they held the elections which went more or les peacefully apart from 1 rocket propelled grenade attack in the city centre.Generally the locals said Kigali was a very peaceful place.
    The Genocide Musuem in Kigali is a must. It is horrific what happened and the feelings you get from going there are similar to a visit of Aushwitz.
    No info on teaching in Rwanda though.

Sorry

5. Hi,
    I lived in Rwanda for 3 years (2005 - 2007) when I volunteered with VSO. The country is not only safe but also beautiful! There are a few schools in Kigali now, let me knowif you want details.
    I now live in Tanzania and go to Rwanda from time to time.

6. Hi,
    Thank you for your reply, nice to hear something positive. Unfortunatley the deal fell through when they revealed that they could not provide education for our child, but once again thank you for the effort!

7. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Somebody saw you coming from a mile away! I bet the permit was real shiny too!

8. Wanderer007

Wanderer007 New commenter

There are also some terrific blogs from VSO recruits;
    http://www.stephenharding.co.uk/
    http://bruceswanderings.blogspot.com/
    With further links to Rwanda blogs from these pages! Enjoy the read!