1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Russian Salad

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by monicabilongame, Sep 29, 2015.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

When I was much younger (about 50+ years younger) my mother used to dish up 'salad' which consisted of a tin of baked beans (with sauce), a tin of peas (drained) and a tin of carrots (sliced, drained), all mixed up in a bowl. Before boaking, please remember that this was in the days when spam was still sold and eaten - in fact, spam would have provided the 'meat' for this meal, with a few left-over potatoes and the 'salad' (which actually tastes lovely with salad cream.... no mayonnaise in those days).

Anyway, whilst having a conversation with someone of the same age-group about this they said that their mother dished up exactly the same 'salad' mix, and called it 'Russian Salad', so it wouldn't have been just my mother's idea. Further reflection on this brought the suggestion that, as it wasn't that long after the end of the war, might this 'Russian salad' actually have been called 'Ration Salad', and come from a time when fresh food was less available than canned?

I'd love to hear from anyone else who knew of or even ate this 'salad', with any more information on the name and/or origin.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    nick909 likes this.
  2. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

When I was a very small girl I lived in North Africa and much of what we ate came from tins - especially after I contracted dysentery! I do remember Russian salad - I think it had carrots, peas and potatoes in it.....? I don't know how it got its name though.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I remember this too but the veggies...carrots, peas and potatoes....were bound with mayo. Deffo no baked beans. That version sounds ghastly. Mind you, the other version was pretty horrid too.

4. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I think Russian salad has cabbage in it, not baked beans. But no, it seems to have anything in it you like including pineapple according to the short internet search I have just done. I suppose it's OK as long as it is made by a Russian, so I am all right there.

5. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

I think you could buy a similar thing in a tin when I was young. It was made by Heinz and was peas, carrots, potatoes and mayo or salad cream I think. I can't remember what it was called though.

6. monicabilongame

I'm probably substantially older than you copycat - either that or we couldn't afford the posh already mixed up stuff in a tin :( but I don't remember that version. Ours was all very DIY. (It was years, literally, before I knew that lettuce belonged in a salad.)

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

All sounds hideous!

nick909 likes this.
  8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I think I've only ever eaten a Russian salad in France. A bit like a potato salad, with mayonnaise but with peas, cubes carrots and, I think, cornichons in it. I've no idea how Russian it really is but it seems like it could be.

9. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

I am 54 monica. Have just googled the Heinz stuff; it was in small tins and was known as vegetable salad and they also made a potato salad. I suppose it was the ready made coleslaw of the day!

10. monicabilongame

Ah yes, I remember now - still beyond our pauper means though, at the time I guess.