1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Russian Military Tech

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Russia's response to an advancing Nato:

RT, 19th July 2018.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I'm increasingly persuaded NATO is obsolete and should have been disbanded as moribund after the Cold war. Europe should be able to defend itself and not rely on the variable benifices of Washington administrations.

artboyusa likes this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

In the face of these weapons there is no doubt.

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Is this the point of showing russian properganda..to say Nato is not required.
    So if Russia was too invade, its estimted it can roll to the Channel in about a week wiping out a lot of Nato command.America would be under no obligation to help as there would be no Nato.
    Almost back to the senario when Hitler rolled to the shores of the Channel and we had one hell of a job to persuade the USA to get involved.Luckily we had the right leader for the time!
    Nato was formed for such a threat after the 2 WW when Russia was threating, and still is to many ,including myself with the present leader..
    Just wander along Yutube and see the many proud boasts of the competing fractions.We have a bigger,larger,faster and more destructive the theme goes.Yet in the end even if it employed suchweapons it leaves itself lonely and with no one to trade or threaten.
    Stop trying to stir it ...well unless youra Ruskki lover and wish to boast..then I could understand!
    Russia's problem is its leader..not the people!

6. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

You said it! Agree 1000%

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Makes you wonder why they're leaving bottles full of Novichok in public parks instead of throwing them into a lake

The solution to pollution is dilution

sparkleghirl likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Pretty; pretty graphics.

9. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

And Europe not be used by Washington to threaten Russia. That part of the cold war seemed never to finish and while it might not quite be the missile crisis, the rules of the game haven't changed much.

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

As with most nations:(

11. Vince_Ulam

12. Vince_Ulam

NATO has been advancing towards the Russian border for the past eighteen years. Under these circumstances it is fair for a country to show its strength.

I am not a 'Ruskki' hater. The Russian peoples have many rich cultures and there is much in them to admire.

I do not see why Russia's leader is any kind of a problem for Russia. The first duty of any government is to ensure the security of the people.

T34 likes this.
  13. sparkleghirl

The US is not and never was part of NATO in order to protect Europe.
    The US is and always was part of NATO in order to use european soil for its bases to threaten Russia and to protect and further its own interests.

T34 likes this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

I don't think the one precludes the other but yes, we should be sceptical of claims to altruism between nations.

15. sparkleghirl

They are not mutually exclusive no, but one is purely a means to another.

16. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

It’s amazing the tech that exists in CGI ;)

17. Vince_Ulam

18. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

I don’t doubt it for a moment; most of the claims made by any military for their hardware are exaggerated into the realms of sci-fi, but the fictionalisation of their capability keeps the tax payers from questioning why they are paying $700 for hammer or spanner to service the hardware.

19. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I don’t think you will get to see that. ;)Official videos about the capability of emergent weapons will pretty much always be manufacturer puff with true capability kept private.

But tbh, you have a point; of all weapons, large lasers seem to have taken a very long time to become truly viable and useful. They have certainly moved on and are much more advanced than the laser weapons fitted to British ships during the Falklands war, but only now are they being fully developed. One reason I suppose is the deployability.
    Laser power is locked to the size of the generation system and the size determines its practical use.
    Large equipments can be fitted on ships, but in reality as conditions at sea such as sea spray, rain, fog and cloud all have a detrimental effect it is likely to be mostly a localised ship protection system rather than an truly offensive weapon. And close-in only needs to be powerful enough for that type of threat.

Greatest deployability would be by air, but again, size and power become restraints.
    So where small lasers might complement an airborne weapon suite, large and powerful is much more problematic, and for smaller effect otherl weapons might already perform better.
    Fixed land based laser weapons are obviously the easiest to make powerful, but they can only be defensive and reactive and will work best in open areas. Mobility will be hampered by size, terrain and line of sight/reaction time in the same way that other weapons are

So biggest and most powerful may not be the ‘best’, although it has good propaganda & marketing value.

20. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Though other interpretations are available.