1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Russian interference in our democratic processes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Nov 8, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

The evidence of the alarming extent of Russian oligarchs' (many of whom simply doing the Kremlin's bidding) interference in UK elections and referendums is becoming ever-clearer. Why is Boris Johnson blocking the publication of the Report? Why has the Tory Party accepted £500,000 of Russian money this year alone? Why did Johnson accept a £160,000 donation from an oligarch's wife in return for a game of tennis. The is sleazy, corrupt and disreputable. Has the Tory Party turned into the best party [Russian] money can buy?
    https://www.businessinsider.com/bor...in-link-conservative-donors-2019-11?r=US&IR=T
    Boris Johnson is suspected of blocking a report on Russian interference in UK elections because of 'embarrassing' revelations about Kremlin links to Conservative donors

• Boris Johnson blocked a report on Russian interference in UK elections because it revealed "embarrassing" links between Conservative donors and the Kremlin, sources have told the Times.
    • Sources who have seen the report suspect that Downing Street fear the revelations would be weaponised in the upcoming general election campaign.
    • Downing Street also reportedly fear the report may damage relations with Donald Trump.
    • The revelations follow an investigation published this week which revealed a surge in donations from Russian-based oligarchs to the Conservative party.

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Established commenter

Caveat: business insider is centre-left leaning - and the article linked has a trail back to the somewhat biased openDemocracy investigation. Worth a read, but I will put on my Guadian glasses first.

border_walker likes this.
  3. MAGAorMIGA

So we can dismiss all allegations as simply being lefties trying to damage the Tory Party's chances of being elected? Then the tales of £489,000 donations are just lies?

vannie, TCSC47 and monicabilongame like this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Expect somebody to make a tinfoil helmet joke soon @MAGAorMIGA - it's become the stock response of some round here.

For more Tory Party financial fun and frolics, Google Ehud Sheleg, their Treasurer, generous donor and (surprise surprise) recent recipient of a knighthood from Mrs May.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Should just publish the damn report... otherwise it'll just dog them...

Why commission a report and not publish it... derp derp

silkywave and chelsea2 like this.
  6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It's been standard practice to give honours to party donors for centuries. Labour elevated William Haughey to Lord Haughey after he donated £1.5 million to Labour, David Garrard got a knighthood after donating £3.5 million to Labour, Bill Morris (General Sec of the T&GWU) became Lord Morris after his union donated £1.5 million to Labour funds, etc etc.

silkywave likes this.
  7. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

It's not business insider makes me think the government's got something to hide.

It's the government not wanting to release the report that makes me think there's something to hide.

dleaf12, eljefeb90, vannie and 8 others like this.
  8. colpee

colpee Star commenter

That might be the case here but refusal to release information is a default setting of all government Information, however mundane, is protected until there are overriding reasons to publish.

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

There could be a number of reasons. If any of the evidence has been supplied by the security services, there may be a need to sanitise sources. Perhaps some of the dastardly tricks of 'interference' may mirror too closely actions of the UK in other countries? Perhaps it will have identifiable traits of interference by governments other than the Kremlin, that may be politically inexpedient to publish?

Of course they might just be hiding embarrassing sh|te.

oldsomeman likes this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed... the security service stuff could be a cause for a hold up.

But I'm fairly sure the last two decades have made our government expert at redaction...

11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Hmm - security clearance was completed in October.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50275383

The report was finalised in March 2019.

Compiled by the Parliamentary Intelligence and Security Committee, it includes evidence from UK intelligence services concerning Russian attempts to influence the outcome of the 2016 EU referendum and 2017 general election.

The process for clearing it on security grounds was completed in the middle of October, but it has since been with Downing Street for final release.

Mr Grieve - who sits as an independent MP for Beaconsfield after losing the Conservative whip - said the usual 10-day wait for release has passed, and if it is not published before Parliament dissolves on Tuesday it will not be published at all.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I cannot think of a reason why he should wish to prevent this report being published.

"It's very demoralising for us when we find we put in months of work and at the end of it we're not getting an adequate response."

Business Secretary Andrea Leadsom said she was not aware of any hold-up. Speaking on the Today programme, she added: "I don't think there's anything unusual about this.

"Many select committee reports are produced and the government has to respond properly, it cannot respond in haste."

vannie and monicabilongame like this.
  12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Well it's high time somebody █████████ Johnson and Gove up the █████ with a ██████ ██████████ ███████ █████

silkywave, dleaf12, vannie and 4 others like this.
  13. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

14. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

I'm pretty concerned and upset that Hillary Clinton (described by the BBC as a 'former US presidential candidate') is now interfering in our politics. Although she does know a lot about paying Russians to make up stuff to put in a fake dossier the government can use to justify illegally spying on her opponent's presidential campaign.

15. florian gassmann

If there's no reason to prevent the report being published, I doubt that it could be very sensational. Mind you, being christened Boris is a bit suspicious ...

nomad likes this.
  16. MAGAorMIGA

Still a deafening silence on this issue from the usual suspects. Could it be that people are ashamed to be voting Conservative as it becomes apparent how far their party are the bought-and-paid-for agents of Putin? The clamour over Corbyn's "terrorist" links becomes ever-more raucous, but the contrasting silence over this issue is far, far more telling.

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What a load of guff...

I'll happily call out Corbyn as a terrorist supporting antisemite... and as is clear from this thread I'll happily call the Conservative Party to publish a report you and I have not read.

And is this all it takes now? Associating with a Russian makes you a Putin crony? My wife is a Russian speaker, my daughter... this Russophobia you peddle is dangerous....

18. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Foreign former politician calling for UK Government report to be released isn't interference. Foreign government (or 'individuals' buying influence in UK government and/or elections is interference.

PS Was it Clinton or the Russians who spread a deadly poison around Salisbury?

vannie and monicabilongame like this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And before anyone claims this isn't a thing... wikipedia has it that anti-Russian sentiments run at 73% in the UK... so I think I'll stick with concerned.

Shows what a crock "For the many, not the few" is though...

20. florian gassmann

So do you think that everyone who comes to the UK and takes out British citizenship is really an agent of the country from which they have fled? Should we stop all immigration because of your fears?