1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Russian GCSE

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by chriszwinter1, Feb 21, 2012.

1. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

OTTER's question 2 needs careful consideration. We have a Russian native speaker and got another native speaker to conduct the speaking test (Edexcel) last summer. While the student got his grade A*, the feedback on the conduct of the speaking test wasn't too good. For one thing, it was over 2 minutes short. I know: I was in the room with them.

2. Thanks for highlighting those issues. I will pass them onto the SENCO when she's back.She had told me that there will be an external examiner and outside help to practise speaking. I have downloaded the papers and found the mp3s on the site so thanks for that. I think I will send him home with a couple of the vocabulary sheets and he can check their meaning with his mother. His English is fairly good as he has lived here since he was 7.
    Thanks again, any more resources help is welcome!

3. This is why you need to know how good his reading and writing is in Russian. If his education in Russian ended at the age of 7, he may have all sorts of problems with spelling and could well make mistakes when conjugating verbs, declining nouns etc. I speak from bitter experience that you cannot take these things for granted.
    That being said any Russian students that I have encountered have always been hard working and commited.

4. Just thought I'd update you on how the student did in his GCSE. He got an A* so thanks to everyone who gave me advice on how to help him achieve this.

5. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Wow, congratulations on your pupil and you! You must be delighted!

6. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

First - congratulations to the lad for his grade, and to those who made it possible for him.

I think that in general there are two major things to be careful of in this kind of scenario:

1. The maturity of the candidate. It doesn't matter if they are native speakers if they lack the maturity to express opinions rather than just state things.

2. The knowledge of the interlocutor wrt the requirements of the exam board - the need perhaps to use different tenses or to develop a discussion, etc.

7. That is true Geoff, and they were two things that made me worry about how he might cope with the exams. But he did extremely well in the circumstances, only dropping a few marks on his writing which was to be expected as he was not confident in the imagination side of the tasks set. Unfortunately the nature of language exams doesnt tend to allow for candidates that cannot imagine a scenario or write a letter to a friend that they may not have.