1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Russia Topic

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by enigma87, Jan 24, 2012.

1. We are looking at different countries across the globe as a whole school and my class is going to be examining Russia for a week. Does anyone have any ideas about what kind of activities could be done for infants please?

There is also a possibility of some kind of brief performance for the school to show what we've learned but I've not had much luck with a song/poem/dance etc. that is Russian but could be done in English by the wee ones. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

2. We are looking at different countries across the globe as a whole school and my class is going to be examining Russia for a week. Does anyone have any ideas about what kind of activities could be done for infants please?

There is also a possibility of some kind of brief performance for the school to show what we've learned but I've not had much luck with a song/poem/dance etc. that is Russian but could be done in English by the wee ones. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance :)

3. For the school performance you could use 'Russian Folk Song' a.k.a 'May There Always Be Sunshine' may be a suitable song. There are lots of clips on YouTube and web pages with the lyrics (I have seen one with the sign language.)
    The DK book 'Children Just Like Me' has pages about a Russian girl (Olia).
    It would be fun to learn some traditional Russian games and try some Russian recipes.

4. Not taught it but have been there -a few ideas off the top of my head:

Matrioshka (Russian stacking) dolls -children make dolls in this shape of three different sizes and decorate in a similar way (discuss sizes -biggest, smallest, smaller etc).

The three bears/goldilocks is actually originally a Russian fairy tale (as are others that I don't quite remember -it was 12 years ago!) could look at these stories.

5. Thanks for the ideas! Will do some more investigating :)

6. Matryoshka (Russian dolls) are a really nice project. There is a nice set to colour and cut out on Activity Village.
    If you looked into Pushkins Fairy Tales you would find that a lot of the stories are very similar to ones we have at home.
    Saint Basils Cathedral is an amazing building that the children could try and draw or paint.
    Could also look at Russian food and make pancakes (blinis) and Borshe (beetroot soup)