1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ruptured cruciate ligament in dog

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jun 10, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

One of my dogs did this same injury. She was a whippet and racing at the time. The surgery was successful but she never raced again. Lived to quite a good age before we lost her to cancer.

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Airedale Terrier. Decided to wait and see for a month before committing to surgery. It fixed itself!!!!!! Don't sign the form!!!

3. This happened to my old springer too but she was considered too old for surgery. We kept her going for about a year on metacam but in the end she was obviously in too much discomfort, in spite of painkillers, and had to be put down - she was 15 mind!

4. One of our collies did this many years ago. She appeared to get better and then started limping really badly after 2 weeks. She then had the op and was given some anti inflammatories. She lived to a ripe old age of 12 or so and it was cancer that got her. The leg healed brilliantly and she was soon up and about and back to her crazy self! Hope it all goes well with your dog.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Thank You. He's on Metacam at the moment and the operation is scheduled for Wednesday. The vet doesn't think waiting is an option, he says he's never seen such a large "gap"between the joint[​IMG] Unfortunately the operation costs more than his insurance will cover so will cost me a fair amount too but he's worth every penny! My cat just sits and licks the dog's head, he clearly knows something is wrong. He will just have to stop chasing balls for while!

6. I was convinced that said 'he will just have to stop chasing his balls for a while'

Hope your dog recovers well from the op - I've only had my puppy for 5 months, but know I'd do (and pay!) anything to have him fit and well. (she says as he's standing in front of the sofa barking his head off at nothing)

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

That too!
    Mine is 8 and a half and an absolute menace! He eat paper, shoes, plastic, the lot. He is also the soppiest, daftest dope going! This is his second operation this year, a grass seed earlier in the year became infected and had to be excised-another £600! Luckily that was fully covered by insurance The claims advisor and I are now on first name terms!