1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Running records?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lizzy71, Apr 26, 2011.

1. I teach music one day a week covering PPA time. Hidden deep inside a long (and mostly irrelevant to me) e mail from the head is a sentence saying i need to hand in my running records for music. Now I must admit I have no idea what i am meant to have done..(I have kept notes on what the children have been doing, ticked boxes on level sheets and written reports for them so far this year) and so am feeling a bit confused. the only running records I recall from training many moons ago were for reading.....
    When i was appoimted to the job i did say i was not totally up to date with all the new terms for things (having been out for a while bringing up my daughter) and was told not to worry, someone would fill me in and all I needed to do was make sure i could give an approximate level every so often and write reports...
    Can anyone enlighten me at all please??
    Sorry if I am being very thick here!!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No idea at all, but just thought I'd let you know you aren't the only one who wouldn't have a clue.

Ask your HT what he/she wants?

3. Glad to know I am not the only one who does not know.........

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Does this just mean your assessments? In terms of Lit / Num I would take a running record to be for example... an APP grid?

Is it just records of their progress? HMMMMM!

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I'd be tempted to ask the HT what they intend to do with the data. What purpose it will have.
    I'd suggest, like most assessment data, the answer is precisely nothing.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

[​IMG]
    Ask, though.

7. I have sent an e mail to find out exactly what I am meant to have done. When i know that I will enquire as to it's purpose...but I also expect it will be yet more paper filling in for no real reason....
    Thanks. At least I am not alone in not knowing...I was a bit concerned it was something very obvious!

8. Well it turns out it means...tell me what level they are at! And i am meant to have told her this at Christmas adn Easter and then again in July....so why not just say tell me a level...??????

9. Hi Lizzy71,
    In our school we use Running Records for reading that come in a pack and I think they can be obtained from the DFES site. They basically have an AFL at the top that is split into different sections i.e. for reading its things like inference. For music I presume it'l be things on pitch, tone and rythm. Have a look on QCA and see if there are running records there. If not, I think looking at what your Local Authority Music curriculum is might turn up the assessment that they want you to use - the running records.
    Basically what we do with our running records (though not for music) is highlight the part that the child can achieve and date it. Then in a half terms time, revisit it and highlight what they have achieved. It might work on a class by class thing with music rather than a pupil specific as this might be really time consuming.
    I hope this has helped....[​IMG]

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm even more ignorant because I wasn't aware of 'levels' in primary music.

11. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

If I did level for music 3 times a year, I can't see many changing from one level to another in between assessments ( and anyone who tells me they sub-level music assessments needs their head ( and their Head!) examining. I've never levelled music in my life!

12. I know..............They are going to look like they have made no progress for ages! even though i know they have! Oh the joys of the NC................................

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

I still don't understand. What are these 'levels'? To put it bluntly, how, for example, does a tone deaf grunter make progress towards singing in tune?

14. Msz

Msz Established commenter

in my case very very slowly ... but one day! [​IMG]

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Msz, you might just get there one day. But the idea that you might have been levelled at primary school re singing in tune [​IMG]is grotesque.

16. Msz

They just told me to shut up inky [​IMG]

17. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

18. Msz

are there P scales for music?

19. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

certainly are!
    about P5 do you think!

20. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well this made me laugh!!! Thank goodness I have never levelled any child in music as well. Wouldn't even know what those terms MEAN, let alone how to tell, among a class of community singing, what exactly each child did!

I reckon I sing with 'a sense of the shape of the melody', just tends to be a slightly squashed shape!

But I was never allowed to sing in primary either...though I learned enthusiastic and convincing mouthing in secondary school.