1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

running records 1:1 reading in Reception

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kaz_allan, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Hi All
    i am thinking about starting running records in reception next year, does anyone already do this and if so how do you fit it in. I would love to do reading on a 1:1 basis but not sure with a large class and only two adults if this will be achievable without letting other things slip!
    Not sure if i should do this weekly or half termly, thought maybe weekly was too often for a running record but not sure what others do.
    any help and advice would be great!
    thank you all

2. I have done running records at Y3 level and older. I'm not sure you would have enough text
    in a R level book to do a meaningful running record. What sort of books are you using?

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

If you're thinking about the kind of running record that I was shown on my PGCE course many many years ago, where the text was printed and you marked which words a child could read, and what strategies they used, then I'd ask what the point of it was. How would it help you to move a child's reading forward? From what I remember (and it's many years since I've used one), you note down strategies including guessing which are the kinds of things that - when you teach children to read - you'd be discouraging them from doing.
    When I read with my Reception children, I do have an assessment sheet with me, but it's related to the EYFS with statements relating to Linking Letters and Sounds, and Reading. I find that useful formative assessment as I know what children need to work on next, and it's also useful when completing the e-profile.

4. I am curious as to why you should be using Marie Clay's work when her method of teaching reading is so different from the current use of structured synthetic phonics and encompasses strategies, such as guessing from context, pictures and initial letters, which are not valid in the context of phonics teaching.

5. hi

Yes I understand that, but it is really important to realise that phonics is not the only method of learning to read and heavy reliance on phonics as a reading strategy, I believe is wrong! Needless to say I do not agree with the Reading (phonics) testing in Year one that the government are introducing.

I would be interested to hear others views.

Thanks

6. I tend to agree with you but that opinion is bucking the current trends. However, I feel that you can analyse a child's strategies just as well in a reading conference rather than using a running record. these tend to give you a reading age which you can transfer to a book band level for guided reading purposes but don't necessarily help you with analysis of strategy as you are concentrating so much on the symbols to use. You can see if a child self corrects, misses out words etc but you have no time to talk to the child to see if they can say what they were doing ( not all R children are articulate or self aware enough, I admit, to do this). Also you have to get copies of the text with the correct number of carefully chosen words, at an appropriate level of difficulty, for a meaningful statistical analysis. Have you got all that in place?

7. I teach in NZ, Year 2. We still mainly use a 'reading for meaning' instructional approach. We use RR as our summative reading assessment tool. A shift this year has been to using seen texts for RR. This means the child has usually had one guided lesson with the text. You do not need to have pre-printed sheets, and you need the child to read between 100 to 150 words to get an accurate picture of reading behaviours. (Print concepts, meaning cues, structural cues, visual information, self-monitoring, self-correcting, fluency and expression).
    Year 1 teachers do many more RR than Year 2 teachers do, as children are moving rapidly to more complex texts during that first year. RR are a useful tool to determine which decoding strategies a child predominantly uses.They lose their usefulness as an assessment tool once a child can decode competently. Usually midway through Year 2.

8. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I do use phonics as my only method for teaching my Foundation children to decode words, and tell them that guessing (by looking at pictures, initial letters of a word etc) is cheating, and isn't reading.
    When I read with a child, I assess their phonic knowledge and skills, so that I'm sure they are reading the appropriate level of decodable books.
    Having said that, I also feel that reading for meaning and enjoyment are extremely important. So we talk about the pictures and the story when we read. BUT, we don't muddle up decoding words, and understanding the text - they are 2 different elements of reading, and need different skills and teaching methods.

9. I do wish sometimes that the defenders of 'mixed strategies' could see the results of their handiwork at KS3 when the pictures have run out and it is impossible to guess words from initial letters and context. Children completely defeated by simple words like 'firm' because their phonic knowledge is incomplete and they haven't been consistently taught to decode and blend unfamiliar words. Children who read the first couple of words in a sentence and then make up the rest and 'make meaning' from the text which is completely different from the author's intentions.
    I entirely agree, cariad. But, as you know, there is no 'meaning' when they can't work out what the words 'say' and certainly no enjoyment.