1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Running out of time?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheOneTonBun, May 3, 2019.

1. TheOneTonBun

TheOneTonBun New commenter

To cut a long story short in my mid 40s, I was made redundant last year and took a snap decision to retrain as a primary school teacher through a university PGCE. I was told there was a huge teacher shortage so getting a job would be no problem, and also I was told being a middle aged male career changer wouldn't be a disadvantage, and could actually help in Primary.

I've managed to complete placements 1 and 2 with Goods with elements of Outstanding, and I like teaching.

I am not having any luck getting a job.

I've had one interview out of about 8 applications which was a close but not quite. They said I interviewed really well and my application was exceptional, but they'd been swamped with applicants and their shortlist was several days of solid interviewing. The others mostly didn't reply or just said they'd get back to me but the stated interview date is now long gone.

Schools seem to be swamped with applications. One was running tours every other day for two weeks, for just a couple of jobs.

Quite a lot of people on the course seem to be facing the same problem. The ones who have jobs are mostly the younger ones and the older people particularly, are starting to feel a bit desperate.

1) Is it getting too late to get a Primary NQT job?
    2) should I stop putting my previous non teaching salary on applications (it asks for it on the application forms, It was bit higher than the top of the mainscale for a classroom teacher. I am fine with an NQT salary and understand that's where you start).
    3) Is my age putting schools off?

It's hard to do the tours you are meant to because it means taking a half a day at least off of placement. Otherwise I just feel like I'm firing off random applications and hearing nothing.

Help?

2. shamandalie

shamandalie New commenter

1) it's not too late. Now is the peak of adverts but there will be more until well into June. And if you don't get a job for september, you can always get one for January.

2) yes. It may give the recruiters the impression that you expect something close to your old salary.

3) I don't know but I can't see why it would be the case...

Doing tours is not necessary to get interviews; it's a numbers game. Keep applying to every school, you'll get there eventually.

If you are able to relocate or travel a bit it would also help.

border_walker and agathamorse like this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

You need to do far more applications

They may be swamped, but it will be the same people applying for every job, not a different set of people each time

After half term no one on a contract will be able to resign, and all the jobs advertised will be going to NQTs

Indyindy likes this.
  4. TheOneTonBun

Thanks very much for replying both of you, this is very helpful. I'll keep plugging away, alongside the PGCE, which is already the most stressful thing ever!

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Every time you don't get the job, the field of competitors decreases by one

Kartoshka and shamandalie like this.
  6. TheOneTonBun

I've looked at my application again and researched some things I can change to hopefully make it stand out more.

I'm trying to fit in all the visits I can but realistically I can't get released from my placement enough to go to more than two or perhaps three each week.

Is it a waste of time applying to primary schools I haven't visited? I read somewhere if you can't go then a phone call will help.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed. Currently there are around 40 jobs I could potentially apply for all with closing dates in the next 5 - 12 days.

7. shamandalie

shamandalie New commenter

I am not primary but I have never done pre visits and never had problems being shortlisted when I was in the Uk.

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

me neither

9. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Just keep going, it isn't too late to apply as you don't need to worry about the resignation dates.
    It depends on where in the country you are applying as it could be where everyone wants to work/live.
    Keep going and make sure someone checks your statement. I always use the person spec to help structure my statement as then, any Head can tick it off the spec as they read my statement. Get your course provider to check your application for you.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. TheOneTonBun

I'm in the South East. There seems to be quite a lot around.

I had a good look at my applications over the weekend, read a lot on here, got some help from some friends, and realise there is a lot I need to change.

Where the application forms had the space for additional information I was just leaving that blank and putting things into the letter.

I've now redone it so that I have a proper executive summary and a separate cover letter. Hopefully that will help.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

It was mid-June before I got my NQT job. Don't lose heart yet!

12. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Loads of jobs going at my school! :p

agathamorse likes this.
  13. TheOneTonBun

If there is nowhere on the application form for an Executive Summary, only a box asking for an additional word processed letter, should I write a traditional thing about how I meet the person spec as well as a letter of introduction; or put it all in the one letter with headings?