1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Running a Maths Revision Evening

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by MissyWilliams, Dec 3, 2009.

1. MissyWilliams

MissyWilliams New commenter

Hi,
    A couple of us at work have been throwing some ideas around about running a Maths revision evening/afternoon for parents.
    We thought we might teach them how to use MyMaths as some of our students think they can bluff us and their parents with "it doesn't work!" etc.
    We would also have revision books, MathsWatch CDs etc to order or buy.
    This morning we got more into ideas of actually getting the parents to try to learn something to show which revision techniques work best, using maybe Senteo to assess their understanding!
    We are going to ask the PTA if they could come an organise refreshments.
    Has anyone out there done anything similar to this? How did it go? What would you do differently next time? Do our ideas seem OK?
    Thanks
    Missy

2. MissyWilliams

Hi,
    A couple of us at work have been throwing some ideas around about running a Maths revision evening/afternoon for parents.
    We thought we might teach them how to use MyMaths as some of our students think they can bluff us and their parents with "it doesn't work!" etc.
    We would also have revision books, MathsWatch CDs etc to order or buy.
    This morning we got more into ideas of actually getting the parents to try to learn something to show which revision techniques work best, using maybe Senteo to assess their understanding!
    We are going to ask the PTA if they could come an organise refreshments.
    Has anyone out there done anything similar to this? How did it go? What would you do differently next time? Do our ideas seem OK?
    Thanks
    Missy

3. Yup, I did the same at our school last year.

Went really well and ran to almost exactly the same plan as you've detailed above.
    We'll do it again this year although;
    - turn out wasn't great so I'll do more promo and publicity
    - we got parents of kids who were already doing well, rather than 'targeted students' so I'll phone to invite some of those 'key parents' personally this time.
    - parents who did attend loved it and really appreciated it. However several did suggest doing it for Maths AND English instead of just Maths, so we'll probably do that this year.
    - several wanted to buy resources (MathsWatch, etc) but didn't have money/change/cheque books - this time I must mention before-handwhat we're going to have on sale and how much it'll be

Sounds like you've got it pretty well covered, good luck with it, hope it goes well!

4. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I'm sorry that I haven't anything to contribute, but I love the idea.

If either of you have any suggestions as to how to set such sessions up, and pit falls to avoid, I would be very grateful.

5. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I love this idea as well, and wish you well with it. I never did anything like this, but used to run a session for parents frightened by ICT, held on Saturday mornings. We held it in the school ICT suite and they paid a nominal fee (which I think the school gave to Charity but that might be my rose-tinted hindsight).

I don't see why a maths session shouldn't work just as well, maybe with a voluntary contribution bucket by the door to the school's charity for that year, or for Children in Need etc.

6. MissyWilliams

Thanks for the positive comments and advice folks, sounds like we will really have to do this now!
    I like the idea of making it open to other subjects too and we had actually thought of this but put it to the bottom of the pile of things to do.
    Mainly we thought our English department would be dead jealous becuse we thought of it first! They are VERY competitive!
    We had thought of taking donations for refreshments to cover costs of that and postage for getting in books to sell etc.
    Thanks again, if anyone else has any comments, let's hear them! Reports of complete disasters too please!!!
    Missy

7. MissyWilliams

[​IMG]Well, I thought I'd bump this as we are now all systems go! We are going ahead on the 2nd March.
    Funnily enough the English dept didn't want to join us as they "weren't sure what we can add". Apparently they cover revision stuff in lessons (and we don't i suppose??!!).
    I am now after sources of freebies!
    I want to give each family a goody bag with pan, pencil, maths set, revision planner etc but we can't afford to buy it all from the dept budget. I have asked the PTA for help but they say they can't fund it all either. I have asked OCR and the NCETM but haven't heard back yet.
    I really need to find some carrier bags to put it all in, so if anyone has any contacts would you mind sharing??
    Thanks
    Missy

8. This sounds like a great idea.
    Sorry I haven't any contacts but I did think that you could make some Origami bags, perhaps at lunchtime with pupils (or get your friends to help during half term!).
    http://infarrantlycreative.blogspot.com/2009/10/origami-gift-bag.html
    Goodluck!

9. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Yep just did something very similar. The problem is you always get the parents of the kids who dont really need it.

When I targetted ) and I mean targetted leeter home with personal invites, colour flyer and replies chased with phone calls) our 30 target students still only 3 parents turne up.

Did this surprise me - no it did not - the reason why many of these kids under perform is because the get little in any parental support and come from the less privaliged backgrounds.
    Of course the powers that be still expect me to work miracles with them

10. DM

DM New commenter

Mike,
    You have just reminded of a time when we invited the parents of 40 pupils at the GCSE C/D borderline in after school to discuss our mathematics intervention programme and only one parent turned up.
    How embarrassing it was to plod through our presentations with this lone parent nodding from time to time. I'm squirming now remembering it.
    DM

11. MissyWilliams

You both have me worried now!
    I have invited about 60 parents by letter and have had 2 replies so far ( the letters only went out on Thursday last week.) I have tried to bypass the students by asking parents to email me or telephone school direct. I figured that students wouldn't return a reply slip if they didn't want their parents to come.
    I feel that we need at least 10 parents to make the evening work otherwise the staff will outnumber the parents.
    Oh well, fingers crossed!
    Thanks for all the advice. Anyone have any sources for the goody bags?
    Missy

12. DM

DM New commenter

You say you contacted the NCETM but you might have more success in obtaining a supply of gorgeous NCETM propelling pencils if you go straight to the organ grinder:
    mark.mccourt@ncetm.org.uk
    Mark is a friend of the TES mathematics forum so make sure you mention this thread. NCETM also do canvas bags but, to be perfectly honest, their role is to support the professional development of teachers so, if they do send you anything, it will just be as a favour because you asked nicely.
    OCR do produce strong plastic bags by the way.
    Graham at Edexcel is a top man and might be able to help.
    graham.cumming@edexcel.com

13. blue117

blue117 New commenter

Games with prizes (a sort of Crystal maze thing over coffee break?)
    Goody bag;-
    Depending on finances and numbers but Wilkinsons are currently doing a geometry set (in a plastic 'box') for 60p!!
    Sheet of useful maths websites (puzzles & revision)
    Cut out tangram and pictures (and answers maybe)
    Domino activities and a card set of doms

14. I adapted the mymaths letters and had them given to parents at the recent year 11 and 10 parents evening by their forum tutors.
    There's a few different letters on the site, I copied and pasted their name and address onto the top from SIMS then printed them onto headed paper.
    The letters tell parents about mymaths and gives them their child's log in details.
    I like the idea of inviting parents in to show them mymaths but would be so embarrassed and disappointed if noone turned upi [​IMG]

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

We did a revision evening for Year 10 late in the summer term last year. The turn out was very disappointing (about six parents!) but the message we wanted to send still got out there.
    They were clearly the right six parents and talked to all the others about what we were doing and what we were offering as support. We will try again this year and hope that we can gradually pull up the numbers!

16. Did a similar thing earlier in the year and invited parents of children Y1 to Y6 to come in with their children and do some maths! Wasn't so much a revision exercise as an exercise in showing the parents how numeracy is taught and the skills/techniques which are taught. Did some fun and games, ICT activites, stuff on mini whiteboards etc. etc. Parents were really appreciative!! Go for it

17. Did this last year as joint effort with the English Department. It was for target pupils (ie those on the cusp of getting/not getting their 5 A*-C including Maths & English). There were 4 sessions if I remember rightly, and it was on a half-hourly rotation. One was fairly general from the Head, Heads of Department and Head of Year, then one each for maths and English, and then a choice of more maths or more english (depending on which subject the child was more "at risk" in).
    Turnout was really good - around 60 or 70 invited, and probably about 50 turned up.
    I produced a little double sided A5 "flyer", with exam dates and details of MyMaths, Bitesize, SAM Learning and school's VLE/Intranet on one side and "10 things not get wrong if you want your C" on the other. I kept on plugging it to parents as something to go on the fridge at home and a number of pupils told me (somewhat embarassed!) that mum/dad had done just that and they were "quizzing" them on things from the list of 10 from time to time.
    We then showed parents (and pupils) how to access the various online resources and gave each parent a MyMaths letter with their child's login details, and showed them how to keep an eye on the work they are doing and pushed them towards the Booster packs.
    We also gave them a breakdown of their latest mock result, highlighting areas of strength and weakness. Alongside each question was the clip number from the Maths Watch CDs, which they were also given.
    I didn't see what happened in the "extra" maths session, but I believe it was a mini-revision session, looking at one or two topics. Something which the parents were likely to think "I can't do this" at the beginning, but by the end would hopefully be thinking "wow, I got it! You see, Johnny, if your old mum can get it that quickly, then you should definitely be getting that C - if you put the work in!"
    Results saw a massive improvement that year - although this session was only one of a number of intervention strategies with these 60/70 pupils.

18. A few years back we ran GCSE Maths in a Year Classes for parents of Y10/11 and we had about 20 people sign up. They were very committed and really keen. I think in the end about 15 took the exam and of those, all passed.

I was a bit dubious it was really any different to doing GCSE at any old evening class but they seemed to like the fact they were being taught by the same people who were teaching their children. We got paid Adult Ed tutor rates for doing it and people in the department who volunteered did a half term each.

As to the revision evening, good luck with it to the original poster. These things can go either way. The first year we did an 'explain what GCSE maths involves' evening we were stacked out with parents, the next year hardly any and then this year back to packed!