1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Running a drama club

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by consonant, Mar 31, 2012.

1. I wonder if anyone has any advice...
    my daughter is thinking of starting a drama club for Yrs 3&4 and another for Yrs 5&6&7 after school in our village hall. The hall has public liability insurance; my daughter is a freelance drama practitioner who is CRB checked. She will have a 17 yr old assistant who isn't CRB checked. does anyone know if she can get the check done herself? And is there a legal adult/child ratio? And will she need extra insurance? And what else should she consider?
    I'd be very grateful for any thoughts! Thank you!

2. I wonder if anyone has any advice...
    my daughter is thinking of starting a drama club for Yrs 3&4 and another for Yrs 5&6&7 after school in our village hall. The hall has public liability insurance; my daughter is a freelance drama practitioner who is CRB checked. She will have a 17 yr old assistant who isn't CRB checked. does anyone know if she can get the check done herself? And is there a legal adult/child ratio? And will she need extra insurance? And what else should she consider?
    I'd be very grateful for any thoughts! Thank you!

3. Your daughter can't have a CRB check carried out on herself, it can only be requested by an employer. So, she may have a copy of a recent CRB check done by a recent employer. A CRB might come back "clear" to the employee, but with confidential additional information (the brown envelope) given to the employer - the bits of tittle tattle and unsubstantiated allegations that employee will never learn about.
    As a freelance drama practitioner, she probably works under the supervision of a teacher (say, in the school she has been invited to work in) under the school's insurance.
    Working on her own, with her own business, is a whole new ball game.
    It might be possible for the committee who run the hall to ask for an enhanced CRB check, with your daughter paying for it.
    Your daughter is the assistant's employer (whether the assistant is paid or not). If your daughter is a freelance already, presumably she has a company and can ask for a CRB on the assistant.
    Ratio - don't think there is a legal one for private groups / clubs, but 1:12 would be sensible, 1:10 better.
    She will need her own public liability insurance for about £5m. (If the roof falls in, the hall's insurance will cover it. If a child breaks a leg playing a Drama game, it's your daughter's insurance which will have to pay (if she was negligent).
    Other points - don't let the parents stay to watch.