1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Running a club

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Chocaholic99, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Chocaholic99

Chocaholic99 New commenter

Hi I've been asked to run a gymnastics club once a week. I have agreed to temporarily doing it but wondered if it falls under "other reasonable duties"? No one else will have anything to do with the club, I have full responsibility for planning what to do and running the club. I am a TA. I have experience in the field but no formal training or qualifications. I don't feel out of my depth with what I've been asked but wondered how it sits "officially" as such. I will just be able to claim overtime for the hours worked in the month at my TA rate. Anything I should be aware of? Thanks

2. hubcap

hubcap New commenter

I would double check if I needed qualifications to teach gymnastics. I'm just thinking of the health and safety side for you.
    Apart from that, depending on your ta level check how many children you can have in your club - ratio. I don't accept anymore than 15. I'm hlta, level 4.

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

If you're comfortable and happy with planning for and running the club, then I would assume it was OK - your school will know the H&S and insurance regulations. But you definitely need to be paid for this, if it is in addition to your normal working hours; ask your line manager, Head Teacher or School Business Manager if it's a permanent increase to your hours and incorporated into your salary, or if you need to claim the extra hours each month.
    If this is after school hours, you need to check that there will be someone available with a First Aid qualification. Even if you have one yourself, you wouldn't be able to attend to a child if you are the only adult running the club.
    I think 15 would be too many for any kind of sports club - I'd say 12 maximum. Good luck and enjoy it!

4. Chocaholic99

Chocaholic99 New commenter

Thank you for replying. They've said I can decide how many I want and also I will claim for extra hours as overtime. No one seems to actually know the answers to questions and I just want to be prepared for what buck could potentially be passed to me and what is definitely not my responsibility. E.g. Insurance (covered apparently), risk assessment (never been involved in these). I've been asked to do it but I only know what I'm going to do regarding the content of the club not setting it up, if that makes sense.

thanks again