1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Running a Book Club

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cbdixon, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Hi,

We have a local Book Awards ceremony every year where children across the authority can take part in a book club at school then share the work they have done at a presentation event.

I am doing this book club with my very bright readers in Y2 who are all 2a/3c/3b so the books chosen are short chapter books.

Does anyone have any top tips or good ideas about how to run a book club with children of this age or any good resources they could reccommend?

Big thanks in advance x

2. I am a Year 2 teacher and i run a book club as part of my guided reading.
    We are lucky to have a wide range of guiding reading texts that arent scheme based.
    The more able children are given a book to read / prepare at home and are asked to come back and discuss them the following week. I give them a focus based on the assessment focus of Reading APP.
    it took a while to initiate discussion - but i am able to sit back & watch rthe children talk about the text.
    it also helps children to find a genre that they like and talk about preference.
    go for it - I love it, the parents love it - and the children get much more than 15 mins a week.

3. Thanks Harchie, anyone else? x

4. I've not run a book club for such young children but used to run one for able readers in a 100 pupil primary. I used to get approx 15 pupils along once a month varying from Year 2 - Year 6.
    I first introduced the idea of the book club in an assembly and then we used to meet once every 3-4 weeks (approx twice/half-term) in a lunch time. There were fruit juice and biscuits (or sometime themed treats e.g. turkish delight when we read The Magician of Samarkand) and an opportunity to talk about our ideas, what we loved/hated, write character profiles, discuss which of the characters we would be most likely to be friends with/ least like to be stuck on a desert island with and why etc.
    One of the group would write a short review of the book for the school newsletter (they took it in turns).
    I generally chose the books but took recommendations from the children. With Year 2s I would suggest starting wih Spud Murphy by Eoin Colpher. It is quite a short chapter book and boy friendly - my group, despite our best efforts was almost exclusively girls. I didn't insit that the children read the books themselves, they could be read to them by parents/ older siblings etc which helps open access to less able readers.
    Good Luck, and have fun!