1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Run out of ideas

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Miss Piggywig, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

I am hoping some of you nice people would help me. I have a Reception class and within this class I have a core group of 10 children who are unable to enage in any lesson. When not under adult direction they are rolling around on the floor. pulling each others colars and thowing toys and equipment at each other. Parents are not taking things on board, and SMT have other problems further up school so they aren't helpful. These 10 mainly boys are disruping every lesson. I have tried behaviour sheets and charts and rewards but nothing is having long term effect. I am at a loss as what to try next.I would welcome any ideas.
    Thanks

2. Hi,

I always have a number of children like this. I have learned the meaning of 'firm but fair' and the importance of consistency. I have worked with EY children for 15 years but only as an EY teacher for 4. So if I tell you anything you already know, I apologise!

1) Have you tried the traffic light system instead of a behaviour chart? There are a number of variations but the one I currently use is as follows: Everyone talks about how we can make Reception a happy place. ( I usually base this on Jenny Mosley's golden rules for simple ideas to get started). I introduce a happy face, on green paper, a not okay face on amber paper and a sad face on red paper. Everyone has a name card and starts each day on the happy face. They are given three chances. So If i have to repeat the instruction or warning two times, the child goes to the not ok face, the third time, I do a count down from five, so still giving the child the opportunity to change behaviour. If I STILL have trouble then they go on the sad face. However I always remind the children that if i see them making a right choice, such as helping another child; being kind, tidying up or completing a task alone, they can go back up to the happy face. Maybe there is alot wrong with this strategy, but I have seen it work. The children RARELY actually get to the sad face (unless they hurt another child on purpose, that is instant and they agree with me about this) I feel the children don't stay on the Not Okay face long as I make a point of looking for them doing the right thing. I also have a super star jar, which I fill with marbles, for my superstars (this is usually a whole class event) stickers, give verbal praise, a hug or high fives for positive re-enforcement.

2) I would also say things like 'is it time to roll on the carpet?' Are you doing the right thing?' or 'Oh dear, Maybe you need me to choose something for you to do because you are not choosing by yourself' I use the one minute sand timer for people to calm down and I say to the children: 'It is easy to make lots of noise but can you hold your body still?' I admit this takes practice but I model it with the children and at times it has help me calm down too! I then speak in a very calm,quiet voice, 'Ok, lets go back to our number game etc, and continue our work'

3) Take the children outside for focus activities. Do you have an assistant or student to help? Hide numbers around the playground, paint with water for writing, make a number line with pegs and laminated cardboard clothes. take them on a shape hunt around the school. I am thinking that they may not be quite ready to do 'sit down' work or table top activities. In my experience, something this kind of child is great at junk art and can make great dens with fabric and cardboard boxes. They have the physical ability to do so! maybe they need a link between physical development and Literacy and Numeracy. At the moment I have a couple of active boys. their concentration is poor but you should see them with the construction activated and how they work together. It really helps me remember that learning is not all about reading, writing and number work, but about working together and thinking skills.

I know you are probably thinking we are already nearly half way through the school year, they go to Year one in 6 months and they are just like nursery children. But we, as Reception teachers must not forget what our four and five yr olds need NOW!

I hope this helps. Good luck!

3. Miss Piggywig

Miss Piggywig New commenter

Thanks for taking the time to relpy in such detail. As a school we have a traffic light system and anyone on yellow is reported to SMT but I realy like the idea of putting faces on them. I am working with the TA to work out a more physical time table for these boys. They are still basically doing the same activities as they did in nursery which does worry me, but they have made some progress all be it little steps and I keep trying to remind myself of this.