1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rumours

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Helena Handbasket, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I found out today one of my pupils has started telling people I am pregnant. I know because some other girls asked me.
    I am not pregnant but have been feeling a little heavy for a while so just feel rubbish now. I have reported it to the head of year but I don't really know whether I need to do something else.

2. Helena Handbasket

I found out today one of my pupils has started telling people I am pregnant. I know because some other girls asked me.
    I am not pregnant but have been feeling a little heavy for a while so just feel rubbish now. I have reported it to the head of year but I don't really know whether I need to do something else.

3. [​IMG] that can't be a nice thing to hear.
    Try not to take it personally. One thing I've discovered about kids this year is that they can be horrible - really horrible - to their teachers. Although I don't remember doing it myself at school, they certainly seem to think it's their place to be judge and jury, and because they make unkind comments about their peers without thinking, they can do it about teachers too.
    I've had a few comments I've just tried hard to ignore it. No doubt if I went in tomorrow covered in spots there would be comments about it, even though half of year 10's boys are covered in acne. One thing to take comfort in, though, is that in a week they'll have forgotten all about it and will have moved on to someone else
    If you're really angry, you can always find an excuse to give the perpetrators detentions, horrible jobs, or low grades :)

4. I finished my final placement in January and in my last week my yr8's asked if I was leaving because I was having a baby (not true). Then, in period4, my yr9's were asking me too, apparently everyone had been talking about it at lunch!
    Obviously I was mortified, but the HOD said I sould take it as a compliment as they obviously saw me as a permenant member of the team and not just a student teacher! Didn't make me feel any better, especially as this was just post christmas! Not a lot you can do, but as dylan83 says, they will have forgotten about soon enough.

5. Helena Handbasket

It's not so much what she said, as I would just laugh it off if I heard some kids discussing it of their own accord. It's more the fact she has gone out of her way to make a lie up and tell people. It's not an accident or a mistake she has made, she has done it specifically.

I know I just need to get over it, most things I just let go but this one really got to me.

6. In my first lesson with a class of Year 9s, a girl put her hand up and asked if I was pregnant. I wasn't pregnant. It was pretty horrible but I ignored the comment...the class had been particularly hostile and it was obviously meant to unnerve me. I was upset and dreaded seeing the class again (who continued to be nasty for a while, but have improved since). Think about how you would console a pupil who experienced a comment about their weight and then apply the advice to yourself! Show that you're not bothered and it will be forgotten about x

7. They'll say all sorts and none of it means anything! They thought a teacher in our dept. was pregnant the other month and she's stick thin.
    They're kids - it's their job to be horrid and un-tactful (although obviously they need to be told that it's inappropriate behaviour and given some kind of sanctionif it is deliberate meanness). It's easy to say 'don't let it bother you', but you'll get used to it eventually and it will stop bothering you.

8. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

LOL Lily, that's great.

9. Helena Handbasket

I know I shouldn't let it get to me and the girls that asked me were just curious and were so nice to me about it even telling me this girl 'usually just chats sh*t'.
    It's really frustrating because before half term I had been talking to this girl who started the story and offered to help her with some work or do after school reading because she said she had trouble. I fear I have too much faith in mankind sometimes.

10. Believe me, it's much worse if you happen to be infertile! But let's face it, their children - they don't understand these things. One of the children in my school asked in complete innocence the other day whether a teacher who had retired aged 65 had 'had her baby yet' ... [​IMG]