1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rumour or truth - early entry

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by jnboy1, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hi
    An interesting conversation with my head teacher today.
    He started talking about early entry in mathematics and mentioned his thoughts/interpretation of new rules.
    According to him
    Pupil starts course in Sept 2012, (linear obviously, a whole different thread here I think)
    For whatever reason the school puts him in for November entry in Y11 (if possible), he gets a D.
    He then has a go in May/June of Y11 and gets a C.
    Head says that he gets a C but the school results show him a D, in other words his first result counts for the school.
    I have had a look on t'internet but cannot find info about this. Anybody got any info?
    Thanks

2. Hi
    An interesting conversation with my head teacher today.
    He started talking about early entry in mathematics and mentioned his thoughts/interpretation of new rules.
    According to him
    Pupil starts course in Sept 2012, (linear obviously, a whole different thread here I think)
    For whatever reason the school puts him in for November entry in Y11 (if possible), he gets a D.
    He then has a go in May/June of Y11 and gets a C.
    Head says that he gets a C but the school results show him a D, in other words his first result counts for the school.
    I have had a look on t'internet but cannot find info about this. Anybody got any info?
    Thanks

3. DM

DM New commenter

No more than a rumour. The DfE has said they may consider only allowing examinations taken in Year 11 to count towards league tables but this has not been firmed up into any sort of serious proposal.

4. pencho

pencho New commenter

Not heard anythign like this.

5. Thanks DM. I wonder if it may end up happening at some point.

6. DM

DM New commenter

No idea. It is all in the gift of the minister.

7. His gifts are great.
    Well thought out and carefully considered.

8. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Who, Gove...!? I actually agree that this complete circus of an examination system needs to end. But, as well as one examination point at the e.o. Yr11, we need one board, one syllabus.... And a monopoly such as that would run counter to his free market principles. Besides which, unless you are being sarkey, I couldn't ever bring myself to align myself with the Tories...

9. I was aiming at sarcastic.......

10. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

But do you recall the mess we had when the SATs were run by one organisation? Three years ago it was a terrible state of affairs. Let us stay with a collection of Exam providers.

11. DM

DM New commenter

To be fair, the "terrible state of affairs" was due to the QCA decision to award the marking contract to an inexperienced U.S. provider with an improbably low tender. The question setting was absolutely fine (the work of a completely different company).

12. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I had an email from Edexcel last week that said that there would no longer be an opportunity to take the Maths paper in November. I can't believe that that's a unilateral decision.

I was with a year 11 student when the email arrived, and he said, "Why would a school enter you in November? It's as if they haven't got any confidence in you passing.'

I couldn't really disagree - why wouldn't you just give them a mock in November, and save yourself the expense and the timetabling headache?

13. I got an email from Edexcel last week that said the opposite to this, perhaps you need to re-read. Maths in November will continue to be available, as will early entry. I find we lose a number of our students towards the end of year 11 due to increasing social factors and they become more disaffected. November entry does very well for our students.

14. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

I think it's the placing of the word 'only'.

It's not saying "entries will only be for retakes", instead it's saying "entries will only be for English and Maths".

There's no way they can legislate to make November entries conditional on a prior entry.