1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rumble in the Jungle

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MelHug94, Dec 6, 2011.

1. MelHug94

MelHug94 New commenter

Hi,
    My school is doing a topic each half term which we teach our literacy through and any other subjects we can reasonably adapt to it. We are supposed to start each half term with some sort of WOW activity /event / assembley to get the children interested, and our next one is called "Rumble in the Jungle" (I believe there's a book by that title, but had never heard of it until today - no idea what it is!)
    I am a year 2 teacher and so far this year we have done
    1) 'Funny Bones', which we adapted to be a topic about dinosaurs by telling the children we had found a bone under the school playground during the summer whilst it was being revamped , so they had to help the museum by finding out what sort of dinosaur it could come from (science: bones, the skeleton, how we move...; Literacy: information texts and narrative...; History: a locality then and now...; etc).
    2) "Blast Off!" through a similar concept, saying an Alien egg was delivered to our school which didnt like light so we have to keep in the dark until it hatches (science, light and dark; literacy, instructions for the baby alien when it hatches i.e. brushing teeth then poetry; d&t, materials - making alien hand puppets)
    As you can see, we can't really go down the "we found a python" route as I think the school suddenly finding dinosaurs and aliens is enough for now! And we have to cover Geography, RE and anything else plausible through the next topic.
    Any ideas for how we could kick it off with a bang, or how to link in different subjects would be very helpful!!! Thanks!
    (Oh, I'm an NQT and loving it!, but obviously don't have a wealth of experience or bank of resources behing me!)

2. MelHug94

MelHug94 New commenter

Hi,
    My school is doing a topic each half term which we teach our literacy through and any other subjects we can reasonably adapt to it. We are supposed to start each half term with some sort of WOW activity /event / assembley to get the children interested, and our next one is called "Rumble in the Jungle" (I believe there's a book by that title, but had never heard of it until today - no idea what it is!)
    I am a year 2 teacher and so far this year we have done
    1) 'Funny Bones', which we adapted to be a topic about dinosaurs by telling the children we had found a bone under the school playground during the summer whilst it was being revamped , so they had to help the museum by finding out what sort of dinosaur it could come from (science: bones, the skeleton, how we move...; Literacy: information texts and narrative...; History: a locality then and now...; etc).
    2) "Blast Off!" through a similar concept, saying an Alien egg was delivered to our school which didnt like light so we have to keep in the dark until it hatches (science, light and dark; literacy, instructions for the baby alien when it hatches i.e. brushing teeth then poetry; d&t, materials - making alien hand puppets)
    As you can see, we can't really go down the "we found a python" route as I think the school suddenly finding dinosaurs and aliens is enough for now! And we have to cover Geography, RE and anything else plausible through the next topic.
    Any ideas for how we could kick it off with a bang, or how to link in different subjects would be very helpful!!! Thanks!
    (Oh, I'm an NQT and loving it!, but obviously don't have a wealth of experience or bank of resources behing me!)

3. mrswallow

mrswallow New commenter

It is a collection of poems about mostly jungle animals (Chimpanzees, giraffes, gazelle, snakes, crocodile, tiger, leopard, hippo, rhino, lions, zebra, gorilla... ) You could cover *deep breath* jungles, food chains, Africa, India, nocturnal/ diurnal, reptiles, mammals, rhyme schemes, puppets, endangered species, trips to the zoo, stuff. Your local library will have a copy it is by the same bloke what did Purple Ronnie. It is a nice book.

4. Do any of the staff know anyone who owns a snake/reptile? All it would need would be a risk assessment (and of course make sure it is friendly!) and then they could bring it in for the children to meet.

5. There are also live webcams to jungles etc somewhere on the internet - if your hall has a board, you could begin with this asking children what they think it is and then telling them it is happeing NOW. My class last year were amazed by this. Then you could bring the snake or lizard out.