1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rumble in the Jungle - Poetry

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sarahjane450, May 7, 2007.

1. Hi, has anyone got any activity ideas for this book. I'm going to use it this week for my poetry objectives but am feeling a bit confused about what to do.(and time is running out fast!) Have seen the whole class ideas from Literacy matters but could do with inspiration for group activities. I know that this is an old favourite of many, so could someone please share with me what has gone well when they have done these poems.

thank you

to read a variety of poems on similar themes, e.g. families, school, food?

to compare and contrast preferences and common themes in stories and poems

to collect class and individual favourite poems for class anthologies, participate in reading aloud

2. Hi, has anyone got any activity ideas for this book. I'm going to use it this week for my poetry objectives but am feeling a bit confused about what to do.(and time is running out fast!) Have seen the whole class ideas from Literacy matters but could do with inspiration for group activities. I know that this is an old favourite of many, so could someone please share with me what has gone well when they have done these poems.

thank you

to read a variety of poems on similar themes, e.g. families, school, food?

to compare and contrast preferences and common themes in stories and poems

to collect class and individual favourite poems for class anthologies, participate in reading aloud

3. have you tried good old hamilton?

http://www.hamilton-trust.org.uk

I tend to cut and paste stuff out of there when running low on ideas. Not sure how much of the site you can view if you are not a member.

how about
    an independent group sequncing some pictures?

looking at information books about the real animals?

writing own poems for a class book?

I did similar things with my class when we looked at commotion in the ocean

4. thanks for reply indigogal

had a look on Hamilton site. There is something there about animal poems but it might not be rumble in the jungle and its a member only part. Not sure whether to sign up, when it might have nothing to do with it!

still not sure what to get my independent groups to do that is still related to poetry. (because we've done sequencing with other stuff, want to try something different)

I cant think any more :(

5. anyone else got any ideas?

indigogal, dont suppose you know where I would find sequencing pictures for this? Have gone back on my own thinking now and think I could do this.

Feeling very muddled, please someone give me inspiration!

6. How about a class poem udsing the alphabet and counting as your basis.....eg
    In the jungle I saw
    1 angry ant
    2 beautiful bees
    3 clumsy caterpillars

Your less able children can give you the animals and your more able might be able to supply the adjectives.

Maybe you could do a sound poem together then record it something like...
    The hyena laughs......ha ha,
    The lion roars.....grr grr,
    The snake hisses...sss sss,

and so on.
    If the children come up with ideas and can learn it you could even perform it in 2 parts, with 1 half saying the first part of the line and the other making the noises.

If I can think of any other ideas I'll post them.

Good luck!!

7. thank you for those ideas, they sound great. Like the idea of the children performing :)

8. k_e

k_e

You could read out the poems and leave the animal name out. The children could then guess what animal it is. They could then make up their own poem clues which the rest of the class have to guess which animal they have written about.

9. Look at literacymatters.com too. Year one term 3 planning i think. It's got some good ideas there which may be adapted.

10. a massive thank you to all who replied. I've actually mixed all your ideas together and will hopefully have a lovely few days rumbling in the jungle :)

cheers guys
    Sarah