1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rules on advertising teaching vacancies

Discussion in 'Governors' started by hamanda, Jun 24, 2011.

1. What are the rules on advertising vacancies? At what scale do you need to advertise externally? What obligations do you have to shortlist candidates - can you ignore candidates who meet the person spec if you have a strong internal candidate or if their stregths do not compliment the current staff team? What feedback do you need to provide to unsuccessful cands?
    We are currently recruiting for a Children's Centre manager - and myself (Cof Govs) and the VC have been asked to include an internal cand who we were clear did not meet the ps and an external one who did, but had too much admin experience and would not complement the current team ..... our HT says we should interview the internal as CPD _ that's okay,and I support her motives here, but the 2nd addition is because she feels we are legally constrained (and the cand has very influential referees within the LA). She was called away from our shortlisting mtg to attend to a child prot matter, we gave her feedback and she agreed initially, but we agreed she needed to look over our decisions at home when her head was clearer....
    I am happy to work with her on this recruitment plan - but her comments have highlighted a gap in my knowledge of the rules. Can you point me to a site on the internet where the guidance and expectations are very clear?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Statutory Staffing Guidance is a good starting point:

https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/01081-2009DOM-EN.pdf
    There is no legal requirement to advertise any teaching post other then head and deputy but you still have to avoid practices that could be unfair under equal opportunies rules. There is no obligation to provide feedback to any candidate but it is a recognised good practice. If you offer feedback it should be to all candidates. There are no specific rules on who to shortlist but no shortage of best practice guidance around. It's not uncommon for internal candidates who are marginal to be shortlisted when they wouldn't have been if external, for the reason you state. Why would that be instead of an external candidate who met the ps? I'd expect you just to add an extra person to your shortlist- there's no limit on the number of candidates you can shortlist, other than practicality. If there was a difference of opinion on whether a candidate should be shortlisted you'd usually give the candidate the benefit of the doubt and put them on the shortlist - what have you got to lose? And they might turn out on interview to be the person you want!

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

When u give fbk prob best 2 write using whole wrds

4. Thanks Rott Weiler - I have checked this and it does give back up to what I understood.