1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

rules of department

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mathmt, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Hello just asking for some help. I've just started my second block of teacher training and have been put into a department which has rules that I disagree with and never wish to use. How should I approach this? SHould I accept the rules of the department and stick to them even if I feel they're at the detrement of the students in my lessons?
    Thanks = )

2. Hello just asking for some help. I've just started my second block of teacher training and have been put into a department which has rules that I disagree with and never wish to use. How should I approach this? SHould I accept the rules of the department and stick to them even if I feel they're at the detrement of the students in my lessons?
    Thanks = )

3. Well what kind of rules do you disagree with?

4. Hi
    At the moment you are a guest teacher in the school and the placement is one that is by arrangement with your provider. In a sense you are not there to challenge their rules - you may not like them, but you will have to work within their rules unless of course they are such that they would prompt unprofessional behaviour (either by you or other staff) in which case your tutor should be informed and, as the qualified professional, take the matter up.
    If you challenge them or refuse to implement them then your placement could be withdrawn by the school or you could be deemed to not meet certain QTS standards.
    Of course at this point we don't know exactly what rules you object to ansd why - if they are of real concern to you, then you should discuss the matter with your tutor and ask for his or her opinion/help e.g. the rules 'require' you to start each lesson with a prayer and you are an atheist - in this case you would not be requyired to say prayers and the school should appoint another teacher to do this rather than require you to do it.
    James

5. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I find it difficult to believe that absolutely everything the department has in place are completely wrong. You don't give an example, but rest assured that the people you are working with are experienced professionals and there haven't just decided on an arbitray set of rules for the sake of it.
    If you choose not to abide by these rules, you can expect to be unsupported by your department/mentor.

6. Best to stick to the rules, especially, as everyone else has pointed out, you are a guest in the dept. Treat it as a learning experience or experiment to see why they are there or what effect they have.
    When you have been around for a while you could ask about the rationale behind them.
    If there is a rule you'd like to break, ask permission & explain why you'd like to do so - you never know, they may agree! And if it works out, the rule may be abandoned for ever!