1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rules for Trans Threads

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Koshkat, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Koshkat

Koshkat New commenter

Anyone else find it a bit weird that there are special rules for discussing trans issues on here? Is any other group given such special treatment?

2. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Oh dear.....

If a thread was overtly racist , sexist or homophobic, I think the moderators would respond similarly.

Being trans is one of the last taboos and some people seem to think it’s ok to be openly transphobic.

I’m not sure why some people feel it is ok to try and dictate and judge how others chose to live their lives, it has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else.

bombaysapphire and bonxie like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Whilst I basically agree with this, I think there are legitimate grounds for concern with some 'Trans Rights Issues', as this article (yes, I realise it's the DM) suggests:

Girls' rights are IGNORED so that transgender pupils are free to use whichever school changing room or toilet they want, equality watchdog report suggests

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ilets-choice-according-leaked-guidelines.html

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Completely misses the OPs actual question.
    Why are we explicitly asked to treat trans matters with extra care in one of the sticky posts on the forum, and yet no other group of specific interest has featured in any other similar posts.
    It's a good question.
    Cannot answer it.
    Bugs me.

(Anybody care to completely misinterpret what bugs me here?)

Laphroig and alex_teccy like this.
  5. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

What I find weird is that despite these rules supposedly being in place for more than a year transphobic posting continues unabated and you're more likely to be warned for pointing it out than if you're the one posting it in the first place.

blue451 likes this.
  6. vannie

vannie Star commenter

It has got quite a lot to do with the women and girls whose sex based rights are being eroded.
    Trans rights are human rights.

7. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Really? Where?

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Tbh?

I didn't know there were special rules. What are they? Where do I find them, please?

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I thought that in the fairly recent past there had been some very acrimonious discussions on the subject, with the thread being shared on other SM platforms, causing problems on here. That doesn't seem to happen with other contested issues. But I may be wrong.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's a form of 'brigading'. I've seen it done on Reddit...

Twitter mobs are another example.

12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

". With this in mind, topics concerning transgender rights will only be discussed in certain on-topic forums about relevant education-based issues where members can constructively discuss best practice."

Discussions about transgenders issues ( social, sporting and womens rights etc) are not permitted under any circumstances on this forum.

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

All the moderation on here is reactive, based on people complaining. Someone with a special interest (sigh) will have made a representation to the moderators quoting legalese for transgressions.

Mangleworzle and vannie like this.
  14. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

... and there was me thinking 'cis' and 'trans' was all about spatial orientation of molecules ... :)

Kevin

blazer likes this.
  15. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Senior commenter

I thought the thread was about tans.

Awkward.

1 person likes this.
  16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I thought it was
    Rules for Trains Threads

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So are there rules for trans-gressions?

18. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Thank you, @marlin !
    Exactly what I needed to know and had passed me by.

marlin likes this.
  19. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

I’m sure Rosa Parks should have just sucked it up and got off that bus

blue451 and Andy_91 like this.
  20. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

The House Rules for the forum say "Users will not personally attack fellow members of the community, including authors and staff. Offensive, lewd or threatening language will not be tolerated; neither will attacking users based on their race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability or age."

This would include transgender people, but as another commenter said, it seems that while the majority of people understand that it's not acceptable to say negative things related to someone's race, religion, disability, age or sexual orientation, many people still think it's funny to make jokes about transgender people or to debate whether or not it's OK for someone to be transgender or whether transgender people should be allowed to use certain facilities or go to certain places. Replace "transgender" with "gay people" or "people of colour" in these jokes and debates, and see if it still sounds acceptable, or if it sounds like we've gone back a few decades to when many people thought it was perfectly acceptable to make jokes about gay people or people of different races, and people were excluded from using certain facilities or services based on the colour of their skin. I'd assume that there have been enough issues on the forums with people making negative comments about transgender people that the moderators felt there was a need to specifically mention this group in a reminder about the house rules.