1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rules changes to perm teaching....is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Moony, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

So here's the thing, as I've saidin another thread I've been using supply teaching to recover from a year of being in a school where my face doesn't fit and the delights of work based stress that induced. So I'm now at the point where I'm passed that, I'm feeling happy and confident with my teaching and I know I can do a good job of things, so once more I was ready to take the plunge into permanent teaching. Then I got to reading up on Gove and the head of Ofsteds new ideas for making us workshy teachers up our game. And I've just got to ask myself if I really want to let myself in for that sort of thing again?

I know there are lots of good heads (infact the place I've got an application in is a good school) and that there are plenty of good schools out there too. But they've effectively raised the bar on us for minimum standards and once we do find ourselves struggling to meet those made it easier to push us out. Am I the only one put off by this? I'm currently re-thinking the whole perm teacher thing, I know that the situation with supply teaching isn't going to be a good one for longer but I'm fortunate enough at the moment to live in an area that still has a decent amount of supply work available. I'm thinking of combining supply teaching with private tutoring and an option to do some self employed work (unrelated to teaching) as I work on finishing a subject related masters degree and then reviewing my options.

2. So, you had a permanent contract and your face didn't fit. Tell us more about what happened......

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Why? It was over a year ago that I left that job and I don't see what the specifics of what happened there have anything to do with what I'm thinking now or even why I should go into any more detail than I have already.

4. No need to get defensive/baffled about it.

I was merely wondering if this was another example of constructive dismissal. It certainly seems quite a common way of getting rid of otherwise good teachers. Due to your "my face didn't fit" comment and the fact that you are no longer there led me to assume that this was the case. I was merely asking you to confirm this. Perhaps I should have been more explicit.

5. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Well maybe if you'd explained that as opposed to post something that could have been interpreted wrong :p

But yeah, I'm a decent enough teacher. I finished my induction the easter before I took up the post in question in the september. I'd been consistantly getting observations that were satisfactory with good features. I take up my post (briming with the enthusiasm of an RQT) and with the work conditions (poorly thought out teaching spacethat was isolated from the bulk of the department), challenging behaviour from the kids and resulting half termly observations (can you say informal capability proceedings) I ended up having 2 weeks off work with stress just before. Thankfully I only had a 1 year contract (for trial purposes - i played that too and they failed my trail period) so I was able to get out of there without an permanent marks on my career as such and then I've been on supply since getting my confidence back.

So yes, possibly constructive dismissal.....i'd dread to think of what my year would have been like if Gove's 'underperforming teachers are out in a term' thing had been in force then! The HoD at the school I'm doing some part time long term supply at said I'm a good teacher so that shows that previous school up. Oh and they got ofsteded after I left (i google-fu'ed) and it wasn't a good one!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

That sounds familiar.
    I have worked at a school for a year doing 1-1 tutoring and class cover. There are now 2 KS teacher posts advertised. I am tempted to apply but at the same time, I know what the school is like and I have seen the stress the staff are under. It's an opportunity but do I want to go back into the fire?

7. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Yep, thats what I'm thinking too. I'm fairly militant with my time at home, if i really need to do the work then I'll do it (coursework marking etc) but aside from that I won't. It stems fro trying to keep up my induction level of evening work when the pressure was building up, it got to the point that even thinking about doing work made me ill.

I like teaching, but I want to remain my own boss and have control.

8. Bad call Moony, you have my sympathies. I'm a deputy head in a small primary, I used to teach in secondary. Got the tag of being something of an 'outstanding' teacher and was always in bad schools going through special measures/coming out of said measures. Got no thanks for what I did from staff, though I used to get letter after letter from parents thanking me. Had all the 'bad kids' coming to my room for 'asylum' and was cocky with my attitude to bad teachers (of which there were many). In the end I walked away from secondary after my final 'outstanding'. There are some awful teachers out there who have paved the way for a Gove to do these new measures.

9. It reminded me of my NQT year. Cut a very long story short, I was doing supply at a great school and really loved it, the new HOD bought his new NQT for "the job" (with no advertising, interview, etc). The grapevine rattled and I got dragged into this very very good ex-grammar. It was very impressive and I was very lucky to be a part of it. The pleasure should have been all mine.

I'm quite a large character and I fitted in well at the previous school. I was like Gary Glitter in this one. No matter how I tried to be "Mr Right" I just failed. I'd take regular personal insults from the HOD, including "Stuart, I think you are an ADHD teacher"....and then proceeded to tell me how I had ADHD!!!!!!!!!! Among others were "You should be seen and not heard". I remember retiring to my room and did "stuff" like ran my science club, helped my students (as I had nothing better to do) and everyone really did well. The markbook was looking good and I just figured that I'd put my head down and just be professional about it. If I couldn't enjoy myself with my fellow staff, I'd just do it really well and go home afterwards....

I couldn't move without doing the worst possible thing with the HOD. Whatever it was, I should have just been somewhere else. I was totally adult and professional at all times but it it wasn't good enough.

So, it came down to "We are concerned about the progress of your students". I thought "There is nothing to be worried about at all" and I figured out it was the performance management====> Not good enough ====>Set Targets=====> Fail =====>We're only trying to help =====> repeat until you jack it in.

I've seen it happen on supply and it's not very nice. It is the way that cliquey departments get rid of people and how many students are failed whilst some bafflingly succeed.

Needless to say, the lady who I had replaced was one of the best teachers in the UK and her classes were a model for the rest of the school. I printed off a load of graphs showing the continuity of the children's good results and a similar graph showing their favourable progress with regards to parallel groups. I said "There is no problem, is there?" and the answer was "No". However, I soon made "the right choice" and went back to supply.

I gather "making the right choice" and the process leading to it is common and referred to as "constructive dismissal" in the real world. If you do it "in the real world" there are very stiff penalties for the employer.

10. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

My first go at induction wasn't brilliant, during the 2nd term I had to make the choice between job and career, I opted for career.

But yeah, I've been at uni this evening (i'm informally sitting in on the lectures for one of the undergrad modules while i'm on a study break from my masters) and it does kinda refocus me on the fact I want to get my masters and then at some point after that try for a PhD. How that would fit around teaching is something I'd need to work out.

Reading what happened to you stuart it just makes me annoyed that people get away with treating other professional adults like this.