1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rugby too dangerous I

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flere-Imsaho, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

28% injury rate in Enlish schools mentioned on the news, including very serious injuries. Should schools swap to teaching touch rugby? I thought we had already, to be honest.

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Whatever next? Ban ski trips? Outlaw swimming? Only allow rubber clubs for golf? Woodwork's already gone and science practicals can so easily go wrong. Nanny says "no - take no risks!".

Landofla and delnon like this.
  3. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I am a little torn - as an ex PE teacher, and someone who encouraged my daughters to ride - a high risk sport.
    When younger my mother often wailed about why was I playing field hockey when being so tall I would be a natural at netball! I hated netball, never rated it as a game even when teaching. I would also argue that I have seen some nasty accidents in netball - a child skimming along a loss tarmac court on their knees isn't a pleasant sight !
    She also worried about my girls riding - we had 100m + of a simply dreadful road to negotiate before we were onto tracks and paths more suited to hacking out. HGVs were impervious to the problems riders faced as they would race down a far too narrow A road to avoid having to change gears for the hill up out of the village. In the 15 years since we stopped keeping horses I rather think I would think harder about encouraging the interest now after some of the road accidents affecting horses, carriages and riders/drivers.
    I was not a fan of girls' football or rugby. As someone who has fought hard all their live to promote female sport..... I did not see what those 2 sports offered girls that field hockey or even netball didn't. I taught a wide range of sports too and firmly believed there was enough choice for girls to be able to find an interest they could keep on with out of school. Football fell down because there were issues re heading the ball, chesting it...... I honestly doubt that the majority of girls 13/14 + have the ability to chest the ball on exactly the right spot on the body for it to be safe - the other issue was that so many girls were never equipped with a suitable bra for sporting activities too!!! Football is one for the very few girls who are extremely sporty (lithe too) and the same probably goes for rugby.I used to have enough trouble getting the girls to go out in slight drizzle let alone be tackled down onto a wet/muddy pitch! The focus for too many was might their hair "frizz" during the 50 mins of outdoor activities !

As for male rugby - I do see the point of the medical concern. Maybe class lesson rugby should be "tag" type and reserve the tackle for the boys interested in extra curricular. All sport carries risk. I know I used to tell my groups that they were lucky to have trampolining on their curriculum as I had heard of at least one local authority which didn't allow it in their schools. That helped me keep my safety rules of no double bouncing and also that a tick list of basic skills had to be mastered before more difficult skills could be attempted.

As for outdoor/adventurous ed - although I was probably the most frightened I have ever been when having to do some rock climbing as a student (am terrified of heights), by doing some on the Langdale Pikes, I could appreciate the challenge and exhilaration those loving the activity would get from it. I knew that I would never teach or lead it as I simply wasn't competent enough. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that these type of activities can be very beneficial for some children giving them a real sense of achievement etc

I always argued that crossing roads probably included a higher risk of injury and death and that on balance some sports' advantages outweighed those risks. I would rather see a girl taking part in rugby than in cheerleading though - but that is a whole other argument though :)

Eureka! likes this.
  4. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

I'm sure rugby could be rejigged to make it safer. Touch rugby is one option. How about having Velcro patches on shirts that hold little strips that have to be pulled off?

Another great idea from me! You can call it RugbE, Vince.

5. Cracked_up

Cracked_up New commenter

I'm sure rugby could be rejigged to make it safer. Touch rugby is one option

Maybe class lesson rugby should be "tag" type and reserve the tackle for the boys interested in extra curricular

What complete brain rotting nonsense is this? You want a great game to be reduced to 'tag', or 'tig' as it is commonly known in the playground.

Small wonder that this country and its children decline.

6. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

That's what mixed primary school teams play.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Maybe Rugby could be replaced with British Bulldog? Far more fun.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

So true.
    Rugby ruined my teeth (before gumshields), wrecked by back (constant medication now), ruined my knee, broke my collarbone and right forefinger and left me fairly fit cardio-vascularly until the fags did for me.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

From schooldays up to a pretty poor adult standard I was mainly a front-row forward. The joy was the groans of agony when my front-row imposed its will on the opposition. The agony was when the roles were reversed.

10. Flere-Imsaho

The argument put forward was that collision was an accident in most sports whereas in rugby it is part of the game.

11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Proper tackling position and the tackler's head must be below shoulder height.

12. Cracked_up

Cracked_up New commenter

The argument put forward was that collision was an accident in most sports whereas in rugby it is part of the game.

You'll have to convert horse racing - perhaps computerise it (virtual) to make it anywhere near safe
    Hockey could have sticks made of felt and balls made of foam
    Boxing should eliminate contact altogether - and the game scored on how credible the opponents' acting is.
    Wrestling - clear case of banning outright, unless the grannies watching it are satisfied with handkerchief waving.
    Lacrosse - sorry girls. The game's up!
    Gymnastics and cheer-leading - far too dangerous to even consider.

13. Cracked_up

Cracked_up New commenter

I thought we had already, to be honest.

Thankfully not. Fortunately this country has independent and public schools where teachers still have a backbone.

14. Flere-Imsaho

You either didn't read or didn't understand the point you quoted in bold.

15. Cracked_up

Cracked_up New commenter

You either didn't read or didn't understand the point you quoted in bold.

Of course I did. And in sports such as boxing, wrestling, hockey, horse racing (with obstacles) , and gymnastics, collision is all part of the game - and a likelihood too.

Now tell us how you reckon we could 'improve' those sports by making them safer.

16. Brunel

Brunel Lead commenter

A couple of points to make here: while no sport is without an element of risk there is no other sport to my knowledge where it is possible not just to be tackled but to disappear under a pile of players subsequently (in rugby union anyway - different for rugby league) doubling the potential for injury.
    In addition adult rugby (by definition) is played by the fully developed. At school level there is often a clear contrast in students of the same age between the almost fully grown and those with a lot of growing up left to do. I vividly remember musing on the unfairness of this as a 6'4", 15 stone fellow year 9 student used to run towards me on the rugby pitch. The opposite of a level playing field it always seemed to me.

cissy3 likes this.
  17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I have relatives who live in Rugby whom I visit quite often and I don't think it is more dangerous than other small market towns. :confused:

Noja likes this.
  18. Flere-Imsaho

You're not supposed to collide in most of those sports. If it happens it is an accident not part of the game.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Heading a football is built into the game and I remember talk of subsequent concussions.

20. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

[​IMG]