1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rugby League Matters

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by stopwatch, Jun 28, 2012.

1. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Unfortunately next Wednesday I will be in UK where I dont think this will be screened. If I stayed in Dubai for another week it will be screened on Showtime.
    But..... I'd rather be at home in UK.
    Gary Schofiled and Ellery Hanley - ex UK League Players? surprised to see them commentating on Aussie League.

2. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

They aren't commentating. They used to play for my club the Balmain Tigers (now almagamated with Wests so are the WestsTigers). They were guests of honour at a club function last night along with Gareth Ellis who is in his last season with the Tigers. The club is holding a series of special galas and this one was for the British chapter. They left out David Topliss though who was also one of my favourite players way back when.
    http://www.weststigers.com.au/news-display/Ellery-Hanley-Garry-Schofield-and-Gareth-Ellis-honoured-at-Wests-Tigers-Dinner/58207

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I used to watch Wigan as a kid in the golden era.
    Q: What's the longest pass in the history of Rugby League?
    A: Ashton to Boston, 3,000 miles.
    I took my 15 year old to his first Wiggin match in the late 90s and, deeply impressed not only by the play but by the stewards, men as wide as dunny doors, who stood at every 50 yards or with their backs to the match scrutinising the extremely well-behaved spectators, he muttered 'Dad, you'd better behave yourself or we're in deep **** here.'

4. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Being a Wess Vinglun boy, I've only ever attended one RL game and that wasn't in England but at a crumbly concrete urinal called Lang Park in Brisbane which has now metamorphosed into a shining cube of steel and glass and re-named the SunCorp stadium.
    It was Aus. vs the Poms, and a dire spectacle, won 9-6 or 12-9 by the home team. I sat behind the goals, and late in the game one of our boys broke through to score the winning try under the posts. Or he would have done had he not spilled the ball under no pressure at all. I was on my feet, arms raised aloft, hooting with patriotic joy, before realising what had happened. Several thousand beered-up voices yelled, as one man, "Sidddowwn, ya pommie baaasturd!"
    So as my RL experience was in Qld I'll have to back them, yassie. It's bound to be on one of the 123 sports channels included in our cable packidge and it will be a welcome change after the absolute heartbreaking paiin of the Euro soccer.

5. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Nooooo! You can't support the Cane Toads dude. Cockroaches rule. The game is actually at SunCorp.

6. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

One thing I can guarantee you is that it will be an epic match. State of Origin is the pinnacle of rugby league. In my opinion even more so than the test matches. We haven't the series for six years and we are one game each so this will be the decider. I would be very surprised if they aren't showing it in the UK as there are a small number of the population who love their league.

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

You have clearly never been to Yorkshire on a cold, damp November Saturday afternoon.

8. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Well, no but I have been inMiddlesbrough on an absolutely arctic Sunday afternoon to watch them play Spurs. Most frightening experience of my life actually until the dog choked on Tuesday!

9. Sorry, but I can't resist this 'a por ellos oe'...
    Go la roja!
    Barkatu aita eta ama!

10. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Oh come on! La roja, is that the reds? Have you been away so long that you forget it is the maroons. Such an unbecoming colour.

11. Qué, Manuel? You've lost me! The maroons? I asked my son and he didn't know either. And he's the real Aussie, played cricket and all for Frangas High.

12. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Sorry notyet. I don't speak Spanish so I was the one who was lost. I thought you meant, go the reds, referring to Qld. The horrible north of the borders are maroons.

13. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

La roja made my daughter cry for an hour or so on Wednesday night, but it's all over now.
    So is the school term thank goodness.

14. RL. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    David Campese was asked recently, 'what has rugby league brought to rugby union'. He replied 'tattoos'.

15. What can you do in football, rugby union, basketball, Ozzie rules and hockey that you can't do in rugby league...?
    Compete for the ball.
    (apart for that recent rule change where a brief scuffle for it is allowed in a one on one situation).

16. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

David Campwho? I always wonder why when people mention their sporting interests (in spectator mode) rugby league is always attacked so vehemently. Must be the private schoolboy hangover I think. It's a great game to watch but if you don't care for it, leave it alone. I;m passionate about my rugby league so why piddle on someone else's campfire?

17. Oh. stop being a blouse, Yasi.
    I hear Campo junior is quite good at the other code...

18. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Shut up FP! What's a blouse? I'm surprised actually that David Campese would take such a cheap shot. He usually has more class than that. Little nephew is doing quite well at the Raiders but we beat them 40-0 the other week. Very sadly, our captain Robbie Farah's mother Sonia passed away from cancer the week before last. It was incredibly sad as she was supposed to watch State of Origin from the stands but was rushed to hospital just hours before the game.
    His family made the decision not to tell Robbie and he thought his mum was watching him play. She passed away the next day. Our team are very close, so it has really affected all of them. Had two shockers since then but they'll come right again.

19. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Arghhhhhhh, to all of them. On Friday afternoon, I had to go to the office to get my travel signed by my boss. One of the other people on our team is also based at my boss' school. I thought I could nip in, get it all signed and nip out again. Somehow the conversation turned all technical and outcomes and objectives and real outcomes were being bandied around.
    I think I really must be past it as all I could think was, "It is 3.30pm on Friday afternoon, last day of term and I really don't give a ****! I just want to go home. Who cares what you call them, we all know what we mean.
    Reading your other post on modal verbs also got me thinking that all of our ESL teachers must have just done some course on modal verbs. If I hear that expression one more time I will shove their modal verbs where the sun don't shine. I almost laugh out loud when I see them telling the kids about them and asking them to identify what the modal verbs are.
    It is like that ring tone of the birds chirping I hear often. The kids are sitting there thinking, huh! Why do we have to be so technical. Children don't learn language like that.

20. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

But what does cutting edge mean really notyet? The new it word. I listen to my ESL lecturer, Professor Paul Dufficy, probably the most talented man alive who has a incredibly well rounded understanding of second language learners.
    Most of all I listen to what my instinct, my experience and my students are telling me. Children of that age are not ready to digest that abstract a concept. They learn to use it naturally but they don't need toknow what it is called or circle it in a piece of writing they have done.
    Their social language is always going to come first and then their academic language and trying to put the cart before the horse never works. And I watch them. It is obvious from watching them that the whole hour they have just spent listening to what a modal verb or an exposition is has been a waste of time when soemthing productive could have been happening.
    If first year uni students find it tedious when they are at a stage of development when they can grapple with the abstract, imagine what year one or two or three students feel. I honestly think it is setting them up for failure. THey don't get it, they know they are supposed to get it, their teachers keep banging on about it like it is the holy grail and a whole cycle of anxiety ridden days ensue.
    Just my opinion.