1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rugby League and Red Star Belgrade

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparkleghirl, Sep 30, 2018.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Red Star Belgrade will play in the English Rugby League Challenge Cup next year, and hope to be part of the league from the following year.

Not sure yet what to think about this.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  2. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

It's yet another reminder that I need to get back to watching more Rugby League again, I've been a Leeds and Keighley season ticket holder and coached a lot of kids but now I can hardly recognise most of the top-flight players.:(

3. sparkleghirl

I confess I'm not much of a rugby fan and when I do watch it tends to be union - ie 6 nations & other internationals - but this struck me as interesting.

Do we want truly international leagues in sport? Is it fair on the fans? How long before football follows suit? Fans have long since ceased to matter there, it's all about tv and sponsorship deals.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Well that's the major question but in fact the question has been changed to....
    "What does Murdoch want?"

Attempts to answer that question have nearly ruined Cricket and Rugby League (don't know enough about union to judge but suspect it is also a victim/beneficiary). Football managed to ruin itself so doesn't need to consider Sky Sports as the sole arbiter of everything.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Don't the Catalans Dragons already play in the League?

Mind you, if Israel can enter the Eurovision Song Contest we may as well dispense with geographical descriptors.

That is what I like about Rugby Union. The Five/Six Nations can include any.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  6. sparkleghirl

I'd forgotten that.
    And once you set a precedent, there's less reason to deny entry to others.

nomad likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Guinness Pro 14 has South African teams competing. Which more than Ulster did against Munster last night.

Geoff Thomas likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Never mind Australia.

sparkleghirl and nomad like this.