1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rug Doctor Carpet Cleaner????

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon1359, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Has anyone hired a Rug Doctor carpet cleaner? Was it any good? My carpets are looking really grotty after a winter on muddy footprints and I've just seen this in my local DIY shop for £20 for 24 hours.

2. We've hired one a couple of times from our local Morrisons. Highly recommended! Depending on how many carpets/size of area you might want to think about 48hrs hire. It's quite time consuming and if your carpets are quite dirty they'll take longer to do. We were horrified by the colour of the water coming out of the carpets (and they didn't look that dirty)!

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I use one every year or two to clean the carpets in my rental property.
    You need to add on the cost of the cleaning fluid. It's much cheaper to buy the large size and hold onto any excess for the next time OR share the cost with one or two other people locally and have a schedule for use over the 24 hours.
    It helps to de-clutter and move some furniture before you collect the machine, so that you get maximum use for cleaning. I often go over the carpets 2 or 3 times.
    You'll be amazed at the dirty colour of the water after it's been through the carpet and been sucked back into the machine. Carpets are virtually touch dry straight after use.
    It comes with attachments for cleaning upholstery too but you need different cleaning fluids for that.
    You also need to take ID and something with your address on in order to get a machine. Shop around too as various places offer them (Morrisons supermarket, Johnson's Dry cleaners and B & Q, I think)

4. They're really good, and as another poster has mentioned, 48 hour hire means you don't have to rush the job.

5. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

They're fantastic. Hard work but worth it. Rugs can take a while to fully dry. You can clean your sofas with them too. The colour of the water is horrifying, it's true.

6. Thanks everyone. I'll definately book one for either the easter or summer holidays. I'll follow the tips for decluttering before I get it and will probably book it for 2 days, even though my house is small, so I can take it steady.
    How dry are the carpets after you've finished? I've borrowed a Vax carpet shampooer before and the carpet was soaking and took days to fully dry, and that was in the warm summer.

7. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

I have also used one and found that if you went over the carpet more than once then it became even wetter and took much longer to dry , something you need to bear in mind if your carpets have heavily stained areas. One thing I found odd is yes the water becomes very dirty , but I tried cleaning a small area of a new carpet out of interest and the water came out as filthy?