1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rude shop assistants are one of my pet hates!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catzroolz, Aug 25, 2012.

1. I had 4 items to post at the Post Office and there was a long queue. I waited there for about 10 minutes patiently with my two year old daughter (who has decided she wants to walk everywhere instead of sitting in the buggy!)
    When it was my turn I waited until I was called and the cashier barely looked up at me. In the middle of my transaction one of the cashiers friends started waiting in the queue and they proceeded to have a loud conversation over me regarding how much extra benefits her friends was now on, then the cashier allowed her friend to pass her parcels through and said that her friend could pay her later.
    After all this because the cashier wasn't concentrating and asked me to put two of my items on the scales again, when I said I'd already put those on the she made the excuse that she hadn't looked because she was busy sticking the postage labels on my previous parcel so I said, ''No thats not why its because you were ignoring me and talking to someone else'' and for the rest of the transaction she was rude and abrupt.
    Why is some customer service so poor? Usually I would probably brush off this type of rudeness but because my little girl was with me and didn't want to be waiting in a post office it made me angry.
    Another thing that annoys me is when supermarket till staff hold their hand out for your money whilst you're still frantically trying to pack your shopping!

2. You can fix that, reach over and shake their hand... the lady behind me in the queue fell about laughing when I tried it.
    Our local Morrison's has one cashier who tuts as well... well she used to! She tutted at me as I was packing the last of my shopping. So I picked up the bags, told her that I was not going to put up with such rudeness (actually I sort of shouted 'how dare you tut at me like that? I'm a customer not a naughty child.') and poured the contents back onto her station and walked off.
    I had 2 managers apologising to me by the time I got to the door.
    I HATE rudeness!

3. Oh yes....
    That, and complete indifference...like they go through the motions but don't really give a toss that you've spent lots of money in their store...
    One girl in Tesco made no eye contact...looked bored stiff...(and she probabaly was...but tough, it's her job to do a bit of smiley customer service) and even looked away when I gave her money...She handed me my receipt without even a 'thank you'...
    I almost snarled..."I am a mystery shopper you know!" [​IMG]
    One day I will...
    I am tempted to go straight to customer service and say "Hey, you know that assistant at till nine? Well she is bloody rude...and I expect better customer service..." but I don't.
    I know they get paid peanuts and the job must be soul-destroying, so why should I add to their woes. I suck it up and go home. There are bigger things to make waves about I feel...but it does annoy me.
    I was tempted to write a general letter to the store manager though...saying service at some tills is very poor. Not sure I'll ever get round to it....

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

The thing that annoys me is when people aren't efficient enough in their packing and then start routing around for their cash AFTER they have finished packing, looking surprised to be asked to pay [​IMG]

5. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I'm an ex-cashier and yes, the job is soul destroying. It's boring, repetitive, often uncomfortable lugging heavy crates of beer to find the barcode, awkward when you're trying to reach for an item one side, scan it then pack it on the other and there are plenty of arrogant, condescending people who look down their nose at you.
    However, there is no excuse not to say hello to the customers, be polite, chit-chat if they want it and say thank you. I started when I was 16 and collected a base of people who would choose to come through my till. It annoys the hell out of me when I go back to that supermarket and get snarled at or ignored. If I do encounter someone like that, I go out of my way to be nice to them, engaging them in conversation and being over-the-top polite. It usually confuses them and makes me laugh without having to resort to being cruel.
    Oh, and if someone really is horrible, complain. Your receipt will have the cashier number or even their name printed on it somewhere. They will get a bollocking and perhaps improve their service. If not, maybe someone nicer who really wants a job but can't find one, will replace them.

6. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

The thing that really irritaktes me is when cahiers are on their mobile oblivious to whether there is anyone waiting (like someone on a food stand recently in an outdoor market.) The worst customer service I can ever recall was over 7 years ago at a beachside cafe in Guernsey where the teenage girl serving literally didnt say a word to me as I placed the can down to pay for it and continued to talk to her friend in the cafe.

Although I have been at the other end as well in my student days. Working at the till of a garden centre, a woman asked 'Will this plant be OK outside?' My horticultural knwoledge isn't great (the company train someone separate to be the 'plant expert') but I felt perfectly competent to answer 'No it won't, frost will kill it.' The woman argued with me and said, 'You're wrong, it'll be fine!' The plant expert happened to be behind and I called him over to resolve the situation. Imagine my smugness when he told the woman exactly what I had just told her! The label did clearly say 'Do not expose to temperatures below 12.C which, erm happens even in the Scilly Isles!
    When I am at the supermarket I always try and keep up with the speed at which the items are scanned (which, being relatively young and having worked in a shop myself before) I can manage.

A very good trick to avoid this situation is placing all the loose fruti which needs weighing right at the end of your shopping. While this slows the cashier down, you have the chance to catch up the remaining shopping in the packing area.

A human usually beats those self service scanners though. 'Unexpected item in bagging area.' Yeah, my ****ing shopping!

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

You should. Shops prefer to know.

8. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I think the reason the cashiers at my local supermarkets are so nice is because it is a particularly poor area for jobs. My son would have loved a job at Tesco - but there never is a vacancy [​IMG]

9. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

The thing that annoys me is when people aren't efficient enough in their packing and then start routing around for their cash AFTER they have finished packing, looking surprised to be asked to pay
    ""....."...."....
    so the customer in no rush is to blame for a supermarket failing to man sufficient checkouts?

10. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

I have a similar argument for traffic congestion coming up to islands. I often 'blame' it on the underconfident drivers who don't go when a bus could have been got through.

11. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

When our new supermarket first introduced the self service scanner, this snooty-sounding woman's voice used to announce all your purchases "ladies full briefs size twenty, Tena lady minis ..." [​IMG]
    I think someone must have complained because after a short while it stopped happening - phew - well would you want all your shopping announced across the store?
    Maybe an idea for the Entertainment forum - didn't Caroline Aherne once do a sketch similar to this?

12. Staff at Asda, Tesco and Sainsburys always ask if you want help packing shopping. If I'm on my own and falling behind, I just ask them to stop scanning and give me a hand to pack for a minute. It's always seemed the reasonable thing to do but you've all got me wondering if I'm expecting too much!

13. Let me see....
    shopping on belt, cashier goes beep, shopping into bag and pay OR
    shopping on belt, cashier goes beep, put some shopping into bag, pay, bag the rest OR
    shopping on belt, cashier goes beep, wait until she has finished, pay and then put shopping into bag

I may try the last one next time [​IMG]

14. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Ha, ha ha!
    I actually find the overly perkly assistants more of a pain than the miserable ones, especially when clothes shopping. "Ooh, this is beautiful isn't it, I've got one JUST like it!" Every Single Time!

15. Shopping on belt, wallet on wee ledge where in the old days you used to sign a cheque, shopping in bags (with assistance!), card in machine, done!

16. However rude some sales assistants can be they are not as rude as some customers.
    I worked as a waitress for 12 years; in that time I had the following:
    Customers - male - who thought it perfectly acceptable to peer down my shirt and comment on my bra
    Customers - male - who would slide their hand up under my skirt...always while I had plates in my hands..
    Customers who would offer me a large tip in exchange for a " little arrangement" - ok, that was only once
    Customers who would tell me I knew nothing about wine because I was a woman.
    A female customer who had a habit of waving me away dismissively because she didn't want to be disturbed while gazing lovingly into her lover's eyes....lady, I have job to do, the kitchen is yelling at me and oh, by the way I know your husband.
    Customer who once corrected my pronounciation of ratatouille - " I think you'll find it's ratatwee my dear"
    Customers who clicked their fingers....
    Customers who ate everything on their plate then tell you it was disgusting and they weren't going to pay...
    Customers who try to take the *** in order to impress the people they're with
    Customers who would flatly deny ordering a particular dish and demand a replacement
    .....and there is so much more....
    And, believe it or not, this was a good restaurant not some dive! I really ought to write a book!
    So, while you're criticising shop assistants - and I agree some are pretty awful - just think what it is like on the other side!
    And always leave a tip!

17. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

I always leave something that doesn't require packing until the end (loo rolls, pop bottles, jumbo box of weetabix) and am then free to pay almost immediately (having my wallet placed already in the packing area). It's the faffers who get on my nerves [​IMG]

18. Yep. Same. Especially if they do it really leisurely. I often meet the eyes of the cashier when this happens and a look is shared...

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

As a customer, I've observed many more instances of rudeness towards the staff at our small central London Tesco than from them. Whatever my gripes about the company, I have nothing but praise for the - mainly - delightful people who work there.
    I always try to cheer the miserable ones up. With the bored and sullen ones, it's more of a challenge to win a smile. Those that are downright rude, I tell them off, cos that's wot teachers do.

20. .......customers who would turn up at 8pm on a Saturday evening, with a party of 6, and shout that you had lost their booking when you knew perfectly well they hadn't made one.....