1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ruddy JSA

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sm1971, May 7, 2011.

1. sm1971

sm1971 New commenter

I've been signing on on the advice of many people here for JSA since the end of March as I've been getting so little work (even though my other half works full time, I've been well under the 16 hours needed to qualify). However, I've had no money paid into my account so queried it yesterday.
    Well, apparently, I've been earning too much to qualify!! How hilarious is that! I've been lucky if I get one day supply each week with a few hours at another casual job I have. I'm nearly £1000 overdrawn and am feeling utterly dispondent. My other half is paying for all he can, but his wage isn't huge by any means. I don't want a full time job teaching as such, but would be more than happy with supply teaching all the hours I can (as I used to be able to!), so I don't want to apply for jobs (I value my health and sanity at the moment more than money, plus there's well over 100 people go for every job round here, so chances are slim at best). I'm nearly 40 and my Mum (who's nearly 80) keeps sending me money she cannot afford to keep me going. I hate this. I feel guilty to be sponging off my partner and family, but I have no choice. I cannot cut my spending at all (as I have already done this) and don't know what to do.
    JSA people tell me that if I work over 16 hours pw I might get tax credits. I've told them that if I work over 16 hours pw I can cope! I'm keeping signing on so my NI is paid, but I feel so miserable it's unbelievable.
    Sorry for the rant and I know there's no solution, but thanks for reading.

2. darkness

darkness New commenter

Go self employed and claim working tax credits.

For self employed it is not on how many hours you work but income. Well, that is what the lady said from HMRC. A lovely Scottish lady I might add.