1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rubbish day at work

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by PETERPIPER, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Just had what I thought were a few days of good lessons with a class. I checked progress in the lessons, asked them to see me if they had any questions, none did but all of them nodded and smiled and said the lesson was useful / thanks sir / that's really helped me. Two hours later, my HOD pulled me aside to tell me that a good handful of them (it's a small class) had been to see her, one in tears, saying that they weren't getting enough help from me, they weren't clear about the topic I had just taught them, and that they were making no progress. My mark book clearly indicates that they have all gone up 1-1.5 grades since September. None of them said a word in the lesson. My HOD says she knows it's not my teaching and more that the pupils are really weak. What do I do when I have to teach them next? And why would they smile to my face then complain behind my back? I've never known students do this before, and it has thrown me!

2. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Try not to take it personally. I don't know how old they are, but maybe there was one occasion when a child asked you for help, your reply was perceived to be a bit "sharp", and they have all agreed in the playground that they shouldn't ask for help. Or if they are really needy, maybe they all have a bit of a "crush" on your HOD and are looking for extra attention from her - and this just seemed to be an easy way to get it. Or maybe some of the higher abilities had been teasing some of the lowers - who then panicked and went looking for help. Kids are complicated and unpredictable - you may find they are off telling the HOD tomorrow that you are the most brilliant teacher in the world ever!