1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber throwing

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by LINGUIST2, Sep 20, 2019.

1. LINGUIST2

LINGUIST2 New commenter

Hi
    In one of my classes over the past week there has a been a spate of pupils throwing pieces of rubber across the room/ onto the floor - they do it when obviously I am not looking and can't see who's doing it. The pupils are 12/13 but it's not a common thing in my school. I am feeling weakened by this and it's affecting my confidence - there are a few challenging kids in the class though. Should I tell my HOD to talk to them or try to deal with it myself? Any advice appreciated. I feel rubbish that the kids think they can do this in my class. I taught some of them last year and this never happened. Behaviour in general is not the best at times in my school.
    Thanks.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Somehow you have to teach them a lesson - not in the way of being mean to them, but in the way that they learn who is the boss and you are not going to tolerate it.

They are a bit older than last year and trying to be a wee bit bigger than their boots.

Whatever you do, you must remain calm and cool. Now let us think of what you could do....

If you have a colleague that is free during the lesson ( TA, support worker, fellow teacher), you could get them to sit in the back and observe. See if they notice who is doing it. Of course they might not do it when there is another adult in the room. Maybe get them to observe a couple of lessons so you get a pattern of what is happening. Although they don't observe the rubber throwing, they may observe other off task behaviour.

You can narrow it down somewhat to where the rubber bits on the floor are, but that isn't that accurate since the bits could be flying from the other side of the room.

You could give a whole class warning. I don't advocate punishing an entire class but if that is your only option, you might have to tell the class that it has come to your attention that a mess has been made in the class and that if it happens again, the entire class will need to attend interviews with the HOD to find out who is doing it and then parents will be contacted. If the class start whinging it isn't "fair" then tell them that it isn't "fair" you have to clean up the mess left.

Don't feel rubbish. These are little kids ( well not so little) who are trying it on. That is what they want you to do: worry, fret, think, plan, cry and be INCONVENIENCED.

Perhaps ask around your department to see if anyone else has a better plan to teach them that it isn't acceptable to disrupt lessons.

3. caress

caress New commenter

My advice? Observe which class is doing it. Then, if you have them before break or lunch, keep the whole class behind to pick up the bits of rubber off the floor. Say the cleaner is not paid to pick up their detritus.

meggyd and pepper5 like this.
  4. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Yes tell them at beginning that class is collectively responsible for state of room at end of lesson. Hopefully good pupils will then be forceful enough to persuade silly ones that rubber throwing is unacceptable.

caress and pepper5 like this.