1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rubber boot school in Tianjin

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by hplovegame48, Jun 10, 2019.

1. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 New commenter

Anyone have any knowledge of the rubber boot school in Tianjin. Read reviews if it's sister school, just wondering if it's the same?

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

They are two ugly twin sisters that share the same DNA on management style and staff welfare. I would take notice of the reviews and ignore them at your peril. Also you will have to live in Tianjin which is a northern industrial shithole of a city.

After horrendous recruitment issues this year management have been asked by the owners to smile at staff as they get their daily abuse.

The rent-a-name schools are suffering recruitment headaches after allowing principals to run riot over staff moral and welfare over the last few years.

3. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 New commenter

Many thanks. Saves me alot of time and energy.

4. february31st

All the rent-a-name schools have discovered that its not the name that attracts students and staff. Schools actually have to earn their status by their behavior and honest treatment of staff.

If teachers are treated the same as toilet paper, cheap, soft, pliable and disposable the endless supply may stop.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  5. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Has it? Are they beginning to find it harder to find people now?

6. february31st

Well with 2 weeks to go till the end of term, this education business seems to be recruiting a lot of staff for multiple schools in China.

How can such a prestigious gold plated name get its staffing requirements so wrong?

One ex head at this school did such a successful job in Shanghai they were asked to find new employment in a startup rent-a-name school in the city. This again was so successful they got shown the door before Christmas holidays in the second year.

One head screws up two rent-a-name schools in Shanghai plus one in Tianjin! You couldn't make this up?

7. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

Ahhhh! The wonderful rent-a-name gamers. I know this is about the Duke's Rubber Boots. It is worth mentioning how Tes has repeatedly scrubbed from the Community forum any realistic and open comments, and even complete threads about the Shanghai boots charade.

8. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Oh, that is only half the story. He was also moved on from Rentaname schools in Dubai and in Phuket. I think the Thai school may have been the first rentaname school, certainly the first of the slowwitch brand, but his departure initiated a complete breakdown and rebranding

9. GreenGlover

GreenGlover New commenter

I have friends in the Shanghai school and they were overwhelmed by candidates and had all gaps filled by the end of February. They have an exceptionally high staff retention rate, which suggests they are much much better that Feb 31st suggest. Perhaps he / she has a personal grudge against them.

10. february31st

I am not one of the poor unfortunates who where unfairly dismissed and had to listen to a school lawyer admit in open court that they do not issue legally binding contracts to teachers or follow Chinese Labour Laws.

11. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

But did they get an apology (and a big payout)?

12. phoenix-xx

phoenix-xx New commenter

This is what I've heard as well, that the Shanghai school has had consistently low staff turnover for the last 3-4 years.

hplovegame48 likes this.
  13. bezmond

bezmond New commenter

Well I've been in Tianjin since 2008 and have settled down here. Wouldn't call it a 'Northern Industrial shithole'. Parts of the city leave something to be desired but it's made huge leaps towards being a 1st tier city since I've been here. Nice people & interesting local culture (if you bother to look for it). Been part of the Rubber Boots school for nearly 5 years - obviously has its up and downs but I'm better paid than in my previous school, get decent CPD opportunities and have made some good friends.

rideemcowboy and gone east like this.