1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

RTP courses help

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by SWsports, Sep 8, 2011.

  1. Hi,
    About 5 years ago I applied to do an RTP, I found a provider but was unable to find a school to support me (since moved areas). Since then I have worked as a sports coach working mainly in primary.
    For the past 12 months I have been working in one school in paticular delivering all their PPA cover (two form entry)as well as spening one/two days a week working in a classroom with a teacher.
    Earlier this week the school approached me asking me to join as an Unqualified teacher subject to me finding a provider. This is where my problem lies.
    I am finding it very difficult to find providers to start with let alone contact them. I am based in Hertfordshire.
    Can anyone help with putting me on the right track as such.
  2. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    The RTP is a 2 year programme and you need to be completing your degree at the same time as working on teacher training. The number of RTP places allocated to EBITTs are very small only around 50 each year. The TDA website should identify those EBITTs who do RTP and have funding. Hertfordshire University did used to do it.
  3. Try Robert Owen - your school can employ you as an unqualified teacher/instructor indefinitely provided they can demonstrate that there are no qualified teachers suitable for the post. So you should be able to work there for a year, get some more experience of planning etc and then apply for next September - do it now though - its quite competitive but a years experience as a full time teacher will help with your application. That said I had no problem getting a place with Robert Owen - they seemed to have quite a few places on offer.
    Also did you know that you do not need an honours degree to do the GTP - 300 credits is sufficient.

Share This Page