1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RSPCA

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

I like animals, but I refuse to give anything to this disgusting , corrupt organization!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...ty-set-fight-animal-cruelty-cruel-itself.html

One of my friends fell foul of the 'dubious' practices of the RSPCA, in a situation not unlike the one in the article.

Long story short: cat went out as cats do and got into fights with other cats! So cat cut and bruised, through no fault of owners. Someone who didn't like owners for personal reasons contacted RSPCA. RSPCA seized cat and accused owners of mistreatment. Matter went to court. Vet concurred cat's injuries were due to brawling with other cats, NOT mistreatment by owners. However, court ruled that owners had to pay RSPCA vet bill to the tune of several hundred pounds, and because the RSPCA effectively lost the case, they made sure the story got into the local newspaper accusing owners of cruelty! Disgusting behaviour!

So, when a chugger turns up at my door in an orange RSPCA tabard, he or she is told right where to go, and why!

wanet likes this.
  2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

So your friends' cat got hurt but they didn't take it to their own vet and when the RSPCA intervened and treated it, they had to pay the bill.

(I'm not clicking on your DM link)

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's just James Delingpole... he'll probably be denying there are cats tomorrow.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's not the story.. it's the unique Delingpole spin he'll put on it...

6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Oh my goodness..... I am in agreement (though suspect coming from a very different standpoint) to @Vladimir
    The R.S.P.C.A. now where do I start? Maybe I start with the horse sales local to my area - to be precise Beeston animal market. In the days, fair enough long ago, when I used to go there with friends or family to buy horse tack or to sell, we would see the poor animals sent there. My friend always said she would see her animals have a bullet before them ending up there. She did buy the Welsh sec A pony from there which I subsequently bought from her for my girl's 6th birthday present and that pony was a life long star! I could outline the horrid things you could see if you walked along the pens for the animals waiting to be sold, of the 2 meat men who would pay peanuts for the poorest of the ponies on sale, The auctioneers would tell you that the RSPCA officers were in attendance. Yes they were.... attendance in the site cafe was obligatory for them and I never ever saw them either by where the boxes/trailers would unload or in the rows of pens. This all culminated one day when an apology for a person had 5 youngsters in a 2 horse trailer. The terrified youngsters, probably rounded up off a Welsh hill, never having been handled were pressed in together and were too scared to reverse out, so the said oaf went to the front of the trailer stuck his staff through the vent and was banging it about them to try to drive them out backwards. I was shouting at him to stop and this day there was an officer from HAPPA (Horse ad Pony protection society) there and he too joined into try to get this to stop. He turned out to be an ex policeman on a random sales site check for his society and he was appalled at what was going on there. The auctioneer staff got onto us and wished us to leave, one of them saying to my ex that he was sure I had been banned from the place. I hadn't and was thoroughly indignant by now. The Happa officer asked me would I be willing to be witness to some of what we had seen and I agreed. The society did contact me and I wrote a lengthy report - though I never found out much about what happened subsequently. I didn't go back to the sales place for quite some time after that as I didn't wish to give them any business and tbh it was too upsetting.

When I did next go there had been some "improvements" and.... there was the odd RSPCA officer in view - not that I saw them engaging - maybe the cafe had closed.
    There is a fair amount of suggestion that the RSPCA do not always do the job that all the dotty/doting old ladies who leave them a fortune think they do. I am sure there are some officers on the ground who try their level best for animals but they should consider paying less for CEO type roles in the society and put more case workers in.
    Ideologically - for now- there does seem to be people in charge at the RSPCA who are strongly anti- hunting. This does surprise me tbh and I expect it will probably change soon enough The one area (and I am sure @Vladimir and I will part "company" here) where I agree with RSPCA is in taking hunts to court to highlight the many many occasions where they flout the hunting with animals laws. Yes it is an expensive route but it has to be done to try and curtail the hunting fraternity's complete legal acts and determination to continue with their cruelty.

Middlemarch likes this.
  7. Flere-Imsaho

Those pictures are not just a cat which doesn't like being groomed. There seem to have been some irregularities in the way this was handled and I regret any animal being put down unnecessarily but that's not a picture of a cat getting proper care and attention.

cissy3 likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You clicked! :p

9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Kate and Tinker .jpg

One pony lucky to be bought from those horse sales. Meant to upload it before on the post.

If one would support a horse charity.... the International League for the Protection of Horses does excellent work !

10. Flere-Imsaho

No, I looked at the Telegraph version someone else posted.

lanokia likes this.
  11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I have no time whatsoever for the RSPCA, who now languish in my mental filing cabinet entitled "Charities which spend too much on their CEO and expensive advertising", in a special new file labeled "Charities which have dubious practices". Also in there are Age Concern, following the news that they've been recommending more expensive energy tariffs to elderly people because they're financially linked with energy providers.

I'll tell you what - it's getting harder and harder to find a charity shop to which I'm willing to donate stuff these days.

cissy3, sabrinakat, wanet and 2 others like this.
  12. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]

This is what Delingpole considers 'much-loved'. I'd hate to see what he considers neglected.

cissy3 likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Cruelty to animals like that really turns my stomach...

14. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

By the RSPCA in putting down a cat before its time?

From what I've read (not in the DM, BTW) this cat - a long haired breed - hated having its fur trimmed so much that it had to be anaesthetized each time. Not surprisingly this wasn't done very often. It looks unsightly, but rather better than being put down...

Worth noting the owners were not prosecuted. There is a lot of animal abuse around, but the RSPCA don't seem to chase difficult cases...

15. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My cat sneezes too much and she's off to the vets!

Poor cat.

16. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Nice that the Daily Fail columnist released his vicious hamster into the local park to 'let nature take its course' - that's cruelty....

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Gawd I wrote this long reply and then my internet reset when I clicked post.

And I don't feel passionate enough to retype it...