1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RSPB Birdwatch 25th - 27th January

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lalad, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Seen in my garden between 1:30 and 2:30 today:

(you only record the number if you see more than one of the same bird at the same time)

Goldfinch (7)
    Woodpigeon (2)
    Collared dove (2)
    Greenfinch (2)
    Chaffinch
    Blue tit

... a lot less than last year, when blackbirds, a robin, a wren, house sparrows and starlings were also seen.

Anyone else?

smoothnewt and primarycat like this.
  2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Not a dic*y here. Too wet. I saw a crow fly over. Really disappointing as I wasnt home yesterday and it was much better.

smoothnewt likes this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Going to try tomorrow it’s raining too heavily.

Lara mfl 05 and smoothnewt like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Dammit. We usually do this. I suppose I could do it tomorrow.

Ours is usually ducks and moorhens. And the pigeons on a death mission who insist on flying into our windows.

Oh, and the kingfisher! What am I saying? S/he's been quite visible this winter. In fact, we'd have a pair for a while. And the heron. It stalks. You can easily see how birds descended from dinosaurs when you watch a heron for any length of time. The neighbours hate the heron but they have fancy, expensive fish. We don't. We have sticklebacks for the kingfisher.

Sillow, Jamvic, smoothnewt and 2 others like this.
  5. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

You don't need them if they have them:)

Jamvic and mothorchid like this.
  6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

18 (!) goldfinches (haven't seen any for over 10 years. But we both saw and identified, and then saw then again, so no chance of confusion)
    7 Herring gulls
    3 black-headed gulls
    4 wood pigeons
    3 collared doves
    2 blackbirds
    2 great t*ts
    1 sparrow
    1 THRUSH! (59 minutes in)
    1 robin
    9 jackdaws

windy and grey here, and I have in the last week seen 8 blackbirds on the crab apple tree and I know we have sparrows, chaffinches, blue t*ts, long tailed t*ts and coal t*ts a-plenty. But not this afternoon.

I envy you the kingfisher, @grumpydogwoman

7. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Looked out on and off - not for the full hour though, so it won’t count.
    Loads of house sparrows
    Male and female blackbird
    Female blackcap
    Blue tit
    Great tit
    Wren
    Robin
    Pigeons
    Pair of collared doves
    Wood pigeons

8. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Interesting that tit is allowed, and so is blue t*ts, but **** plural isn't...o_O

Jamvic and smoothnewt like this.
  9. smoothnewt

It’s great to see that goldfinches are doing so well!
    We were commenting earlier that we used to see loads of starlings but now I can’t remember the last time I saw any out back.

Jamvic and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Haven't seen a starling for a long time. Certainly not in a garden.

We also don't have sparrows! Of any kind.

Jamvic likes this.
  11. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'll do it tomorrow, been out planting trees around the village today.

We've loads less blackbirds this winter, last year we'd regularly get 10+ in the garden when the food goes out, think I've seen a maximum of 4 of them once this year.

This last week we've daily visits from a female pheasant who turns up from about 11-1 and looks for spilled seed under the feeder so I go out and put a little pile on the lawn for her.

We have a small flock of sparrows, probably about 20 that regularly turn up in the front or back gardens daily for about the last 6 months, hardly saw them at all before that. They make a hell of a noise for such small birds. They behave like a naughty noisy class who are immediately silent if you turn a corner and they can see you, but then start again when you're out of sight.

Lalad, Jamvic and smoothnewt like this.
  12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Been out at grandaughter's birthday, but with the rain wouldn't have seen a lot I expect. Tomorrow is also forecast rain :rolleyes:, so will have to choose my hour carefully.

Lalad and Jamvic like this.
  13. smoothnewt

Yes, far fewer blackbirds than in some previous years. I was thinking it might be due to the weather which has not been as cold as in some years past.

We have so many house sparrows - different families, as many as 30+. It is impossible to count them as they flit about so quickly. They are absolutely as you describe them though, and they do make me smile.

14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

We get a massive gang of them daily. We call them the Beaky Blinders because they come in numbers and intimidate the other birds at the feeding station. They make such a racket.

Lalad, Mangleworzle and smoothnewt like this.
  15. smoothnewt

I used to love watching the greedily oversized babies being fed. Great fun.
    Glad to see they are going strong in some parts!

16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Five hens, a very noisy blackbird and, you know how there are no sparrows in London? It's because they are ALL in our hedge.

17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Also those are nearly the only birds I know so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to count any others. Small birds and big birds is good enough for me.

Lara mfl 05 and Jamvic like this.
  18. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Nothing going on here except the crows. I don't feed the birds anymore as only the crows or the squirrels seemed to benefit and we've got plenty of seed heads and berries if the birds want them.

19. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

We had a hole in the side of the eaves one year, about 10 years ago now, and a pair of starlings nested there and produced 2 broods. We hadn’t noticed the hole until this happened. I felt a sense of responsibility so made sure there was lots of food available (probably why they had two broods :rolleyes:) for the duration. I had a wonderful few weeks of watching the chick antics you describe. Big, fat chicks continually harassing the smaller parents to be fed :D.

As soon as they had all fledged and eventually cleared off we had the nest materials cleared out of the roof space and the hole fixed. However, large families of them have returned to feed every year since and I often wonder if they are descendants of the original family.

Lara mfl 05, smoothnewt and Lalad like this.
  20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm looking forward to seeing the crows rebuild last years nest in the tal tree at the bottom of next doors garden. it is a bit battered at the moment but last year it was a thing of wonder. I think one chick survived and there's nothing like a fat teenage crow hanging round its poor middle aged parents demanding food. Well, actually, there is something just like it - we used to shout through the window -"Just give in and buy him a flat"

smoothnewt, Jamvic and Lalad like this.