1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RSPB Bird Watch

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Jan 26, 2019.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Does anyone do this? I feel like a lot of posters here are bird lovers.

#justwondering

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I do

I've been a birdwatcher for most of my life.

Whenever I go abroad I always look out for new birds.

I saw a Hoopoe in China - it was one of the highlights of the whole trip.

3. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Yes I do but inevitably anything with a bit of colour has obviously taken a cheap weekend break elsewhere as for the last three years all I've ever seen is sparrows. I even buy the premium Wilko fat balls instead of the economy pack!

smoothnewt likes this.
  4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

You don't have to go that far, you know. A place we go to at the eastern end of the Algarve has some resident hoopoes; they walk around pecking for food on the damp grass once the sprinklers have stopped. Beautiful birds!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Yes. Just washed and topped up my bird feeders ready for my chosen hour.

Lara mfl 05 and sparklepig2002 like this.
  6. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

2 wood pigeons
    3 herring gulls
    5 crows
    More than 35 starlings.

I'm sure there's normally more than that!

7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Yes. I will do it tomorrow. I do it every year.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. May2

May2 Established commenter

It's amazing how the birds always seem to know when you are doing it and go into hiding! We shall be doing it tomorrow and I doubt if much will be about. I saw a bullfinch last week and a coal tit today but only briefly so I doubt I'll get them on my list. We often get flocks of long tailed **** but I bet they won't arrive at the right time either!

Lara mfl 05 and Mangleworzle like this.
  9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

We do it too. We gets lots of variety over a typical day but as @May2 says, when we do it, there will probably be 1 starling and 2 pigeons.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I get a black bird in the garden but as I live beside a wild life area on the canal most of the birds are hiding over there. Except the magpies on the grass in front of the house.

11. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I've ben casually looking out and nothing, not even a magpie or pigeon. Hooe tomorrow is better, about 10am would be good.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I'm embarrassingly ignorant about most British birds. I would just have a list of small, medium and large brown jobs.

When I lived abroad we had some amazing birds in our garden. Hadedas (which our cat tried to ride once), glossy starlings, go-away birds, Egyptian geese for a bit and @peakster I even saw a hoopoe once.

I missed urban mammals there though. Gargantuan rats but not much else.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  13. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

A feeding station, regularly topped up, then a small pair of binoculars and bird id book near the best viewing window. It's surprising how useful the binoculars are even for birds quite close to, so many that seem plain from a distance are much more colourful and detailed when seen close up through the binoculars.

Lara mfl 05 and primarycat like this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Her Maj did it today.

A couple of moorhens in the plum tree. For the fat balls. Loads of goldfinch. Eight. The magpies were ever-present today. Bullies. The website wouldn't allow her to add kingfisher though! Under the "other visitors during the year".

Her Maj spends loads on feeders and fat balls and everything else.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I’ve done this a few times in the past.
    I had regular visitors of goldfinch, blue ti ts , coal ti ts , bull finch, long tailed tI ts , thrush, blackbird ( inclining a pied blackbird) collared doves.
    On the appointed day, all except the sparrows (who all live in the hedge 3 feet away from the feeding station) decided to go awol.

On another occasion the appointed hour was visited by a couple of red kites - so nothing else.

16. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

We get the usual blue/coal t its, robins, starlings, greenfinch, chaffinch, dunnocks, magpies.WE frequently have red kites circling over head. We have had a sparrow hawk in the garden too, unfortunately for one pigeon and a starling. :( Last week we saw a pair of redwings, which was very exciting. I havent seen them since though .

17. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Had to remove all my feeders before Christmas as a large family of rats took up residence. Rats all "gone" now but I haven't put the feeders back.

18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Several of my residents have bird feeders and absolutely love watching the birds they see gather around them. Only one to my knowledge is able to identify them all. He told me last year that he'd taken part in the RSPB bird watch challenge and got close the winners in the number of birds he'd been able to photograph in the estate gardens.

Unfortunately, although he's a lovely guy, he's not the sort you can engage in conversation for very long. He's always in a hurry to go somewhere, but he asks if I'll take in a parcel he's expecting, which invariably will be an attachment for his bird watching camera.

My sweetheart saw a brightly coloured bird in the garden last year that our cat had his eyes on, but was unsuccessful in catching, dragging into our home and causing chaos as he so frequently does. Our cat rarely kills them. He just seems to be fascintated by the opportunity to catch them. The dead ones we find are always young, but they're intact. I suspect they die from the trauma of being caught. The ones that cause us the most grief are the adults he caught and hid in the drawers underneath the bed.

They're unharmed, and when they decide the coast is clear find their way out of the drawer the cat left them in and terrorise my sweetheart by flying from lampshade to lampshade, from windowsill to lampshade and another windowsill until I can tempt them outside by closing the doors to every room they aren't in and opening then opening the window of their simplest escape route.

Is there a bird species categorised as long nippled t.its? My google search is helpful in some respect, but it isn't revealing anything ornithological.

19. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Never usually do it 'properly' i e within a time-frame on a given day, but I might try tomorrow. Only seen pigeons, our nesting bluetits & a blackbird today though, so it will need to be better than that tomorrow.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I haven't done a lot of Sunday birdwatching trips for a couple of years now but have decided to start them again.

Good excuse to get back into the lovely British countryside.

les25paul likes this.