1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RSE (the topic formerly known as SRE!) - Sex & Pleasure and Masterbation

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by BonM, Mar 13, 2017.

1. BonM

BonM New commenter

Before I start, I am not wishing to upset anyone by my ideas or suggestions, I am genuinely a passionate PSHCE teacher (at a girls' school) who wants to provide the best, most helpful PSHCE education for young people trying to grow up in the crazy world that is the 21st Century!

OK, so teaching PSHCE is not for the faint-hearted, especially Relationship & Sex Education topics. PSHCE and RSE are currently very much in the news and I am quite surprised to read/hear about schools that don't already offer on their curriculum the sort of things I assumed everyone else was also teaching! Apparently not!

Anyway, politics aside, I am currently reviewing my curriculum/SOL and I am debating whether there is enough in there about sex & pleasure and taking it a step further, self-pleasure/masterbation. My reasons for thinking this is that:
    a) it's important not to be all fire and brimstone about sex - there needs to be balance of giving advice about how to safeguard oneself in relation to relationships and sexual activity as well as positive things
    b) we talk a lot about healthy relationships so it's natural to celebrate the pleasure of the physical side of a relationship as a positive thing
    c) young people might be unable to talk about self-pleasure with a rational human being and may need to hear from someone they trust that it's ok to do it and a natural way to learn about your body... (and won't make you go blind!)
    d) to emphasise and dispel the myths that arise from watching **** around orgasm and pleasure

It does not faze me in the slightest to teach the nitty-gritty stuff to a bunch of teenagers (Key Stage 4+) and I would gladly add these topics into the SOL, only I am not sure whether there are guidelines or resources already out there to educate about these things.

Interestingly, I was recently in Australia and on the TV in the late afternoon, a kids' TV drama had a storyline about a 14 year old girl who was unsure about masterbation, she got some incorrect information from her friends and thought there was something wrong with her so she ended up at the doctor to ask if she was 'abnormal' - the Dr gave her a leaflet about masterbation which subsequently got discovered by a teacher and there was some humiliation as the leaflet was read out to the class but ultimately the show ended up with a shot of her going into the shower, removing and lowering the shower head before cutting to credits - all before 5.30pm on a weekday.

HONESTLY, this was a real kids' show and I have to admit, I was actually rather astonished, but it did get me thinking that perhaps the theme of self-pleasure is something that is very mystified and taboo - but should it be.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not suggesting I subscribe to OMGYes.com and show the learners the instructional videos, but telling them it's OK to explore their bodies, to find out what they like and don't like etc... It can help their subsequent relationships.

Anyway, I guess what I am asking is:

a) does anyone else already do this?
    b) can anyone direct me to some useful resources?
    c) has anyone experienced any pushback from SLT / parents?

If RSE is not your thing and you have been offended by reading this, I am truly sorry. As I said at the start, I am not trying to upset anyone, I just want to arm the young people I teach with the information that will see them safely and happily through the bumpy teen years, made even bumpier by pressures of society and the media.

Thank you!

2. sian_R

sian_R New commenter

Hi, bit late to the party but I see no one has answered! I think you make some really good points. A good starting point is the Bish UK website. There are loads of really well-made little videos that address all aspects of SRE/RSE that you could use in class or signpost students towards. There's loads of really positive content on here http://www.bishuk.com/ Enjoy!

BonM likes this.