1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RSE (or ****)

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by durgamata, May 21, 2011.

1. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

Just stumbled upon this post under Citizenship. Is it a sign of things to come I wonder?

I am sending a copy to my MP and Mr Gove.

Would you like to do the same?

Hi all, I know that this post has been covered in a similar way but advice would be greatly appreciated. I work in an academy and they have decided to combine RE and PSHCE next year- I have no say in the matter and I know OFSTED will not approve but this is what I have to work with.

I have been placed in charge of 'RSE' next year. I have mapped where I think the current RE curriculum matches as best as possible with the PSHCE curriculum (personal wellbeing, citizenship and economic wellbeing and financial capability) I have also asked other subjects to map where they feel they meet the curriculum within their subjects too. I was also thinking about sharing a PSHCE objective in the RSE lessons and getting the pupils to evidence where in their work they have met this and how- alongside their RE objective.

Does anyone currently teach these together? Does anyone have any other advise on how to make this situation better? Does anyone have any resources? Does anyone have any idea how to cover the parts that are missing? Citizenship, SRE and drugs education mainly. I have resources on PSHCE, RE, History, Geography and ASDAN COPE that I could share with people too. Many thanks :)

What on earth use will this kind of mess be for our young people I do not know. And can you credit a school calling it (A)RSE?

2. I'm afraid I do think this will be a pattern for the future - already is in quite a few schools. We all know that the EBacc has accelerated this process. It raises the important issue of identity for RE and some serious soul searching needs to be done by the whole RE community over the next 18 months. Whatare we for ? Can we absorb a bit of Citizenship without losing the plot ?

3. durgamata

There is always an overlap between different subjects but I think RE would loose its power and its rigour and its relevance if it were to be combined with any other subject. Heavens above, we have enough to do to educate our students about the whole world of religion. That is a massive task. It is vitally important to their own self understanding and their appreciation of the spiritual aspect of life and their understanding of other perspectives. /p

I am sure that whatever they make, whatever mess they may create with their mixes, the teachers who take the subject will do their best - and it will have some relevance to the lives of the students - but it will not be RE. And the educatin of the students will suffer, the school community will have less of spiritual cultural and moral value and society will be more divided and dangerous.

we really do need to fight for RE to be included in the English Bacc and not stop until we win this one.

4. Hi,
    My school wants to combine RE with PSHEE at KS3 next year too, but within one hour a week. I have to organise it, and would be grateful for any help and advice with how to put the curriculums together. I know that it's not ideal and I'm unhappy that both subjects will be getting less time, but it's something that is not going to change, at least for that year anyway.
    Have to think of a name for the new subject too, but I think that RE should still feature as a discreet subject on the timetable. What on earth does RSE stand for?
    Anyway, if you've any useful advice or resources, I'd love to hear from you.
    [​IMG]

5. durgamata

I feel very strongly that we should all keep to Religious Education. We need to educate our students about the subject of Religion - the whole thing is it is education about not study of. It includes learning from as well as learning about - it includes learning about your own views and responding in a personal way to the important issues explored by and raised by the great religions as well as learning what they are - their history and way of engaging with life.

I am not happy about the exams all being Religious Studies and I wonder who made that change and why. It is absolutely essential that we do keep the word 'religious' but I think that the word Education is just as important

6. gemzied

gemzied New commenter