1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

RQT

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Fairydust4444, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Fairydust4444

Fairydust4444 New commenter

Just a quick question. I finished my NQT in April this year. I have now been told I am leading PSHE for the MAT and RWI for the school as of now. Do I have any right to ask for my pay to go up from M1 now that I have these extra things to do?

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

No, the two things are separate. They can offer you directed time for non teaching roles. So your teaching load will reduce. Your transition to the next stage of the payscale will be covered by the rules set out in HR documentation. Usually it’s PR based, but some MATs are much nicer.

Piranha likes this.
  3. Fairydust4444

Fairydust4444 New commenter

Okay. We have been told we don't get any extra time to complete these roles though. So M1 is no longer just for NQTs then?

4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Never was. In the old days, you moved up the pay scale in September, subject to having satisfactorily taught for sufficient weeks in the previous year. You would not have moved up the scale in April. (In practice, the majority of new teachers would complete NQT at the end of a year on M1, so it looked as if the two went together.)

Piranha likes this.
  5. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Piranha likes this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Given that some schools are reluctant to give annual pay rises, this would probably give you some ammunition to get a rise in the annual pay reviews in September. You can ask for one now (you always have the right to ask for anything) but the school's policy may be in line with STPCD when these things are done once a year.

Talking of STPCD, that sets out criteria for a role to come with a TLR. You could read it and if you think the new role does qualify, bring up the subject. I assume that STPCD does not apply, but it might help you. And, as @diddydave points out above, there might be something in the MAT's policy. It is always wise to know what your rights are, so teachers should read their school's policies, or STPCD where that applies.

As an NQT, were you getting an extra 10% off timetable? If so, and your timetable has not changed, then then is might be considered reasonable for that extra 10% to become time for the new role.